 Off-Topic / Debate / 16165
16164  |  16166
Subject:
What is Art..(again?) (was:Re: Canceled Lego Theme...?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:12:41 GMT

Again, your bias shines through. IMO, the holocaust sets are nowhere near art.
Your defensive attitude towards your perceived ideas of Dan's intentions also
betrays your bias.  Typical Liberal-- hypocrisy and double standards.

Easy there, fireball, lest we accuse you of being a Typical
Conservative--santimoniousness, arrogance, bigotry, misogyny, homophobia,
and an irrepressible zeal for curtailing others' rights to expression.
Naturally I'd never want to paint a Conservative with so broad a brush, but
your eagerness to dismiss a "Typical Liberal" demonstrates at the very least
an unhelpful leaning toward ad hominem.

Guilt as charged-- I guess that one slipped out:-)

I'd be interested to hear why "the holocaust sets are nowhere near art,"
and, perhaps more tellingly, what in your opinion *is* somewhere near art.

A hot button issue for me, as I stated elsewhere, and no time to delve into it
now, but here is the short of it.

I realize that a definition of art is elusive at best, but I am more comfortable
stating what art *isn't*.  For example, child pornography *isn't* art-- it's
child pornography.  Just because some perverse artist *thinks* or *says* it is
doesn't make it so.  Any moral society would concur.  An immoral one might not,
but now we are talking morality, another buzz topic.  And from there move on to
the concept of an absolute morality, which stems from God, the final buzz topic.

To me, it's all kind of related, and that's a mouthful:-)

-John

    Dave!