 Off-Topic / Debate / 16175
Re: What is Art..(again?) (was:Re: Canceled Lego Theme...?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:45:19 GMT

I realize that a definition of art is elusive at best, but I am more
comfortable stating what art *isn't*.  For example, child pornography *isn't*
art-- it's child pornography.  Just because some perverse artist *thinks* or
*says* it is doesn't make it so.

  "Perverse" is an emotionalism in this context so should probably be
avoided in a serious debate on the subject.  However, when I was younger
(goodness gracious--when I was *half* my current age!!!!) I had several
friends taking something like an Advanced Photography course while in high
school.  One in particular was 14 years old; if he and his 14 year-old
girlfriend had decided to have sex, and if he--with her full consent--had
decided to film it for purposes of artistic photographic expression, would
that have been perverse pornography or would it have been art?  What if you
saw tasteful nudes of 18 year olds and identified these images as art, but
found out afterwards that the subjects were actually 16?  Would the pictures
suddenly have "become" pornographic?  These may seem like arbitrarily
specific exceptions, but they point to the underlying problem of how
mercurial the subject of "art" can be, and they lead us back to the problem
of "it's art cuz I say so."

Any moral society would concur.

  Maybe, maybe not.  Some societies have condoned young teenage marriage,
presumably with the attendant festivities on the wedding night or soon
after.  Were these societies less moral just because they didn't adhere to
the USA's 20th century notions of age of majority?

but now we are talking morality, another buzz topic. And from there move on to
the concept of an absolute morality, which stems from God, the final buzz
topic.

  Don't get me started on that again!  8^)
  Oh, what the heck--what would The Bible indicate if two ten year-olds
joined one another before God and decided to have sex?  Does God check ID
before admitting two loving people into marriage?

     Dave!