 Off-Topic / Debate / 16221
Re: jumping to conclusions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:00:33 GMT

In the future, try to view this as a battle of good v evil. Israel = Good
and Palestinians = Evil. You’ll find the world much easier to deal with that
way. I find that most international disputes (as well as much smaller
day-to-day issues) can be handled much quicker this way.

;-)

Here's another question to help reduce my ignorance:  what's the source of
the claims that I've heard again and again and again and again in the
various media that the PLO in particular and vocal extremist groups in the
Arab world in general simply want to exterminate the Jews, at least in the
Middle East?  I mean, we've all read about the Saudi press and the recent
"Jews cook with human blood" piece, so there's obviously an anti-Jew
sentiment in parts of the academic community.  Whatever else I've heard
about the ME conflict, I've never heard that Israel wants to exterminate
Arabs or Palestine, but I've repeatedly heard the converse.  Is there any
truth to these claims, or is it simply pro-Israeli propaganda?

Who knows?

I don't doubt that these views exist. I don't doubt that the there are those
who have the same views on  just about any race or religion. I don't doubt
that the rather colourful metaphors used as part of some cultures make
things worse!

As for the source - who knows? I know that in ’67 it was claimed that Nasser
had said that he would “drive the Israelis into the sea”. This is a
much-quoted phrase – even on this forum. In the early 70’s, Christopher
Mayhew (a UK politician) offered UKP5000 (~US$8000 – a king’s ransom at the
time) to anyone who could prove that Nasser had said what had been
attributed to him. He later broadened this to include threats of genocide
uttered by *any* Arab leader. Despite several court cases, he has never had
to pay out the UKP5000 as far as I am aware (the last ref I have is ‘95).

One has to wonder how this rumour started, perhaps it was part of the
international anti-Israeli media conspiracy?

Scott A

    Dave!