 Off-Topic / Debate / 16212
Re: jumping to conclusions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:09:04 GMT

<snip>

You say so.  Hatred exists because of intolerance.  This whole thing started
because the Arabs couldn't tolerate a Jewish state.

<snip>

You idiot.  We will *never* stop supporting Israel.  *Their* allegiance could be
argued to be more valuable than yours (England).

<snip>

-John

I just thought that those two lines should be viewed together.
No reason...

No reason?  I think you definitely had a reason.  But if it is to imply that I
hate Scott, you're wrong.  I disagree with him, and I called him an idiot
because what he proposed was idiocy-- that's all.

Just because the atrocity is sanctioned by the government, it doesn't make
the atrocity right.  To me it doesn't matter who started the war, now, over
50 years later--if *both* sides of the war are committing heinous 'war
crimes' that's just what they are, heinous crimes against humanity.

Which "heinous war crimes" is Israel committing?  And this isn't a war.  It's
one country trying to defend itself against another group's attempt to
extinguish it.

The axiom 'hatred exists because of intolerance' is absolute truth.  And it
won't be until both sides stop hating each other that there will be real
resolution.  Telling the PLO that they have to cease their 'holy war'
because they started this mess is like telling the Americans to go back to
Europe 'cause the natives were here first.  It's history.  Get over it.
What do we do now to solve the situation now so that there is no more
killing now (and hopefully into the future).

But Dave, what if one party doesn't *want* peace?  You assume too much when you
think that the PLO wants this.  They want nothing of the sort.  You can tell by
their actions.  They can talk peace and promise peace until they are blue in the
face-- I want to *see* peace.  Instead I see more reports of homicide bombers.

Both parties are to blame.  Both parties must stop the violence.

Any violence inflicted by Israel has always been in retaliation for terrorism.
For the PLO to say that any violence they commit is in retaliation for Israeli
retaliation is disingenuous.  The PLO is the aggressor, not Israel.

Both
parties must stop the hatred.

But can they?  Will they?  What is the basis for the hatred?  For the Israelis,
it's the fact that the Arab world keeps trying to exterminate them.  For the
Arabs?

And we must stop sending money to the people who sanction *any* form of
terrorism.

???  "Terrorism" is a specific term which only has one form-- the targeting of a
civilian population to induce terror.  Israel does not engage in this practice.
Israel has made mistakes (as every country has), but "terrorism" was never one
of them.

-John