 Off-Topic / Debate / 16178
Re: Canceled Lego Theme...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:26:58 GMT

Yes, leave it to the scum to circumvent law to appease their perversions.  The
slippery slope slants both ways.

Our society will be hurt by this.

-John

There's the Christian ideal, 'Hate the sin, not the sinner'.  Name calling
(a la 'scum') does not help in resolution of the problem.

Quoting Pastor Doug Mckenzie

"
My topic today is bugs...
Everyone hates bugs
But why kill them,
If everyone killed all that they hated, where would we be?
'Cause think about it, eh?
No matter how good you are, someone will hate you
And the next thing you know, you're gone...
So, like, what good is it, eh?
So...
Ummm...
Don't kill bugs!
"

Sure I would love a world without sin.  It's what we, as Christians, aspire
to attain.

There are those in the world without our beliefs, however.  And these people
have their own way of doing things which they don't consider sinful or
obscene. If consenting adults wanna go off and do what they want, seriously,
what's that to me?  As long as they do not harm me or my kids (when and/or
if i have any), or my personal values, it's their perrogative.  I wouldn't
want them standing in front of my church saying that I'm wrong or sinning
against their beliefs.

You can say, 'Hey, I'm not having that in my house, I am not having my hard
werned dollars contributing to that (a la government subsidies)'  Government
should not fund things that the 'people' are against.  As for those that
want to spend their money producing and buying 'dirty' magazines depicting
consenting adults looking younger than they are, they have the freedom to do
so.  You have the freedom to protest against it, as well, though I think, as
stated earlier, that you'd be doing more damage than good by drawing
attention to that which you want to discredit.

The second someone acts against a youngster is where the line is drawn--not
the other way.  Not the 'But they look 17 but really they're 23'.  Therefore
no slippery slope.

I do the Joshua thing... 'They can do what they please--as for me and my
house, we will follow the Lord.'

Further, i think it was the anabaptist idea, 'we try to live as a good
example as to how you can live your life with the Lord', that I really
appreciate.

I don't want to push people away from God.  Christians who use the Bible
like a sledgehammer, who shout 'Sinners!!', 'Scum!!' and the like, are not
likely to win converts to our Lord.

I'm also not a 'scared, cowering, liberal Christian' either.  I love God and
I let people know that.  That does not mean that I think of myself as
'saved' and the rest who don't follow Jesus 'unsaved'.  First it is not up
to me to judge, secondly we *all* fall short, so in fact, to God, we're all
scum.

Dave
-expounding on his Christian beliefs more than he thought he would this
particular day and in this particular forum :)