 Off-Topic / Debate / 16197
Re: Canceled Lego Theme...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:17:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:

While in college I met a 20-year-old woman with Turner's syndrome;
she had only a single chromosome,

Wow.  Even amoebas have more than that, IIRC.....

Well, I did mention that she was short.

Should have read "only a single X chromosome."

Sorry-- couldn't resist:-)

In any case, you didn't address the salient point that under the too-broad
law you seem to support, the woman's rights to expression would be curtailed
simply because she appears younger than she really is.

It is an interesting scenario.  I am not for the government restricting the
rights of adults so much as I am concerned about protecting minors from
disgusting things adults like to do.  Although she *is* free to express herself
in such a way, I would hope that she would be intelligent enough to do it in
another more productive manner (for society).

There is a cycle here.  1) Children get abused, which 2) screws them up mentally
and then 3) they become tomorrow's social deviants.  If our society can shield
our youth from such filth and violence, it is my hope that the cycle can be
broken.

But when our *society* starts accepting deviant behavior *as normal*, then I see
no hope for the future-- each generation becomes more polluted than the
previous.

We are the greatest country in the world because we are free, and that will be
our own undoing, because we are not *taking the responsibility* that comes with
that freedom.

Freedom and Responsibility go hand in hand.

-John

    Dave!

FUT back to ot.debate, in hope of getting some kind of answer.