 Off-Topic / Debate / *18831 (-100)
  Re: namecalling

(...) I agree with this comment 99%. Part of the 1% is the post I refereed to where he called Duq a "another America hater". I think these sort of comments are very weak. I don't agree with 100% of Duq's post, but he does make a lot of very valid (...) (22 years ago, 2-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: namecalling

(...) You are mixing political satire with being offensive. I just don't see the point of calling someone's comments "hatful", ungrateful or as being "divorced from reality" as being all that constructive. I’d have been less concerned if you had (...) (22 years ago, 2-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) He can't tell anyone as: a) We are all scared of the unknown... especially when he talks in hushed tones........ spooky! b) It would put the future stream of information at risk - the fact that pretty soon the whole country will be overrun by (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poverty myths?

(...) So the population density of inhabitable China would be roughly double which is still about half that of Taiwan and remains insignificant compared to Hong Kong. (...) Assuming that is actually where most of their whealth is derived, is it not (...) (22 years ago, 2-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Ummmmm, do you understand the significance of the smiley face I put behind the statement? What I said was accurate, but I knew it not to be the norm, and thus the smiley face so you'd know not to take it too seriously. But I will stress that (...) (22 years ago, 2-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Speed limits (was:Here's one of the many things I don't understand...)

(...) In Italy *some* cars are allowed to drive up to 150 km/h. And in a country of the Iberian Peninsula which shall remain nameless one can illegally drive 1.6 liter engines to the limit, at 200km/h, without much fear of being arrested... :-) (...) (22 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

"Bruce Schlickbernd" <corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote in message news:H9LEJC.7q@lugnet.com... <snip> Middle East oil goes to Europe, where they drive their 5 liter V12 engines (...) I (...) No, the point is we don't have 5 liter V12 engines. Normal (...) (22 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poverty myths?

(...) Taiwan, but the again more than half of China is uninhabitable. And Switzerland became rich charging toll rights to those who wanted to cross the Alps. Williams' arguments have less strenght under these facts, wouldn't you say? Pedro (22 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Poverty myths?

Here is an article that really makes one think. (URL) of posting the article refers to the January 22 article. -Mike Petrucelli (22 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Not to mention it would be a nightmare in terms of crypting; everyone already speaks English anyway :-D (...) Actually, I'm learning German. It's not even half as hard as I had thought! (ok, so it takes *time* to learn... ;-) (...) Nope. If (...) (22 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Esperanto: that will simply annoy everyone. French: the french ears will be offended by the corruption of their language! English: it would drive everyone nuts trying to figure out whether they should say Lew-ten-ant or Left-ten-ant, Kernal or (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Well, I think trusting the Bush Blair duo is equally naive--"Oh we have photos of the Iraqis moving stuff the day before the inspection teams arrive!" I've been reading CNN during the slow times at work today and it's the same old stuff--it's (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: namecalling

(...) What's a wintel? Windows? Airhead and Blairhead ™. Thar we go! Not that I can actually read it.... -->Bruce<-- (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: namecalling

(...) Don't you think this message should be in reply to Scott, or perhaps Duq, or Larry? Or was my message just a convenient jumping off point? (...) Looking down below at completely unrelated material below...ummmm, yeah. (...) The Soviet Union (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Back on track... (was Re: namecalling

(...) Don't worry, Dave, it's not hijacked. It's just been temporarily diverted but is back on track now. (...) He's been caught out, we can move on. Everyone just needs to ignore all the responses you know we're going to get, trying to prove black (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: namecalling

(...) Very true. (...) *Ahem* Without American manpower, yes; without American Lend-lease, Britain would have been forced to truce eventually. And that would mean more Axis soldiers to the Eastern Front, which in turn would mean perhaps the Soviets (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Both, but only the first is really important (for the second I prefer cunning diplomacy). The difficulty in the defense of Europe against any military threat has to do with the almost impossibility of establishing standards for a unified army. (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: namecalling

(...) Oh, ya... me too. But that's not the point of my post. (...) On Wintel machines, Launch MSWord and type "(tm)" and it turns into the superscript TM symbol. Then paste the symbol in to your post. That works for many (but not all) browsers. I (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: namecalling

(...) So we're going on our merry way of having a pretty good debate about world issues, politics, and the threat of war--I was pretty content to sit back after I started this thread, and read all the well written replies and appreciating the (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) (Frank Filz writes) (...) You don't feel Europe is capable of defending itself? In what sense? Conventional war in Europe itself? Or just their oversees interests? (...) I mean the whole of the 20th century. The United States was dragged into (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: namecalling

(...) Which was partly (if not all) the result of quotes from the press. (...) Put a Warhead in the middle, and you'll have Cerberus (ya know, the dog that guarded the Styx...) ;-) Pedro (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) At this point in time, I disagree. But in the mid-term that can happen and probably will. Mind you, that does NOT imply in any way that Europe automatically becomes an antagonist to the US! (...) ??? Do you mean anything other than the (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: namecalling

(...) Well spotted on the hypocrisy - he's just grinding his usual axe. And I wish to note that I have great respect for the way Frank expresses his opinions (we could all learn a lesson by emulating him). But, ummmmm, errrrr, I'd agree with most of (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) A lot of people in America aren't impressed with us being the world's policemen, either, regardless of the individual cases. But to run down the list... Pakistan: if we were to deal with Pakistan, we would have to deal with the trigger device (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  namecalling

(...) (URL) gives "an ungrateful person", or "a person who shows no gratitude"... none of the meanings it lists have any negative connotation beyond that. Ya, that's namecalling all right. (1) But of course, words like "airhead", "poodle", "lapdog", (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) From whom? (...) Which they use to hold land which does not belong to them and kill women and children. Does it make you feel pround to know this bomb had "made in the usa" stamped on the side: (URL)If we went in and disarmed them (like some (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) I thought Duq made a lot of very good points in his post. I'm disappointed that both you and Frank have chosen to respond to him with name calling. Scott A (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Inherently I support the idea of a world court, but I'm not sure how to implement it to give it appropriate teeth. I was going to talk about my feelings of two noteable incidents of US pilots attacking non-enemies. From what I can see, I hope (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Duq" <lugnetpost@skipthis...tmfweb.nl> wrote in message news:H9JqHM.2IM@lugnet.com... snip (...) and (...) LOL, good post. /Jocke (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

I fixed Duk's quoting, he did it in a nonstandard way. I found one thing to agree with in the post. The rest is pretty hateful and divorced from reality though... (...) Great. Glad to hear it. I'm not the only person who thinks you lot (and a number (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) I think we all have a duty to defend freedom where it is threatened... even if it means out multinationals loose $$$. Take a look at what the UK did in Sierra Leon: (URL) was not perfect. UK lives were lost. But democracy was restored. It was (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Poodles & Chimps [Re: Value of NATO?]

(...) Indeed. In the UK, Blair is often satirised as a poodle, whilst "his master" is a chimp. More often he's just a diminutive form of bush: (URL) kind of a shame, as Blair is often argued to be one of the smartest leaders there is - but I suppose (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

<snip> I think many countries want the US to be the policement, but only when they're interests are at risk.</snip> I don't know about other countries, but a lot of people here in Holland aren't impressed with America taking the role of police (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Neither. Leak it to the Iraqis. Do you really think the inspection team is free of Iraqi sympathisers? Why do you think the satellite photos show the Iraqis consistently busily bulldozing stuff the day before the inspection team arrives? You (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Leak it to the inspectors, yes. Leak it to the general media, prob'ly not. (...) How 'bout a coherent foreign policy--one that does not overlook the atrocities of some nations 'cause they're buddy buddy with the oil tycoons but comes down hard (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) I think many countries want the US to be the policement, but only when they're interests are at risk. In my opinion, we have a small responsibility to protect Europe, however, those countries being in pretty good economic condition, the help (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) You really mean give it to the UN so they can leak it... (...) Well which way are you arguing here? If you think we 'murricans should be the world's policeman it's aw'fly darn clear to me that Iraq desperately needs waxing, and has, since (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) And I'm not saying release the info to Joe Schmo--give the intelligence to people who will use it. The inspectors are trying to do a job for the UN to make sure that whoever complied with whatever resolution-- This is like me going to my (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Er... "Coventry"... you know,where Jaguars come from(1). I'm sure it had some convents and such but that's not what I meant to backform. Also the Enigma/Coventry thing may only be myth (URL) has a different view 1 - (URL) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) So-- I haven't been following overly closely-- what's the most the media knows about this 'proof'? As for the question at hand, I can only assume that Junior's intelligence knows the type of weapon but not the location. OR perhaps he knows (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) That seems enough to me. Make no mistake, Iraq has WoMD, has had them for ages, and is doing everything in its power to confound the inspectors. The inspectors have the wrong task. Instead of nosing around looking for stuff they ought to be (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) You cannot grasp the non-existent. ;-) -->Bruce<-- (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

So the inspectors have been inspecting for a while now... driving here, there and everywhere... over hill, under dale, across the river and back... looking for 'weapons of mass destruction' and stuff... Haven't found much--empty missles and (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Value of NATO?

(...) So you've seen George Michael's clip as well, eh? ;-) Pedro (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Value of NATO?

(...) On all 4s - he's bush's poodle. Scott A (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Value of NATO?

(...) Precisely. For the time being, there is no need for an European Army - there are no threats! Although I argue there is a need to start testing its future appearance, out of precaution alone; after all, the best way to avoid wars is still not (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Value of NATO?

(...) If that attack is in self-defence as result of illegal attacks launched from US bases inside Turkey, then I don't see why they should? If the attack is an unprovoked attack by Iraq, then a NATO level response is justified. I expect the chances (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Value of NATO?

(...) Very few countries could seriously threaten the EU - of those that could, very few would. I'd rather my tax was spent on education. The EU and USA are aligned pretty well, so I see not need to compete with them in terms of military spending… (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Value of NATO?

(...) My reading is that France and Germany (1) are delaying the plan to assist Turkey in the hope the Tukish government becomes frightened of entering war - thus forcing a review of US plans. Besides, given that Turkey does not want to upset the EU (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Value of NATO?

(...) I think this has more to do with politics than military necessity. It seems more a signal that NATO is wary of US intentions than anything - note that the foot-draggers are saying that the planning may be necessary eventually. The US is trying (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Value of NATO?

(URL) if I'm reading the story right, NATO planners don't want to discuss what to do if Iraq attacks Turkey. That strikes me as imprudent. Whether you think a war with Iraq is justified or not or whether NATO should participate or not (1), it seems (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: So here's a light question....

(...) I used to like Sledge Hammer! a whole heck of a lot. I have one of the videotapes back home. It had some sparkles and some real groans, but it was generally pretty interesting. Come to think of it, I liked it for the same reason I like "Aqua (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  <snip>

David, I have a couple of issues with your post which I'd like to highlight before tackling the other points you raise: 1. Issue 1 (...) I'm not being clear on this one bit. In fact I've made a bit of a mess. Let's rewind[?]. Asking me to find (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: stopping topics vs. dealing with troublemakers and nonconstructive participants

(...) Well-- you could, but would that somehow prove that you didn't deserve it? (...) Alright then-- If that's the case, then it's my opinion that you didn't like the implication of an attack on your person which is what you read into Larry's post, (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: So here's a light question....

(...) I think that was "Automan" that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Was one of my favorite shows as well... though all I really remember is the hero saying "Cursor..." and the dot would create whatever was needed. :) (22 years ago, 27-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  "The Doctor" [Re: So here's a light question....]

(...) I agree. Dr Who still has so much potential - especially in the mini series type format - rather than the "50 minutes to save the universe" approach shows use these days. BTW: was the fox movie not supposed to be a pilot? Getting us back (...) (22 years ago, 27-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: So here's a light question....

(...) Ok, yes I agree some good shows got cancelled. But I have to ask ya'll, I'm trying to remember an old 80s scifi series. It had a guy who could be digitized, like tron. He had a car that looked wire traced and his 'sidekick' was a dot. It was a (...) (22 years ago, 27-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is this ammunition against Sex Offender Registration?

(...) It's these sort of actions that force these [mainly] guys underground and to coalesce. If society believes that these offenders can return to the community, then I think we should try to rehabilitate them rather than make them social pariahs. (...) (22 years ago, 27-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: stopping topics vs. dealing with troublemakers and nonconstructive participants

(...) I fear your “lack of justification” argument against me has grown rather diffuse. Part of the problem is the lack of good evidence you have been willing to produce. The text in this post contains a quote that I said “contains a great (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: So here's a light question....

(...) altogether (...) Yes, that's the one. The opening credits had a voice over along the lines of: "We were having a veterans parade when some darn kids were playing." [kids drive remote control car next to missle truck. Missle rasies and (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: So here's a light question....

(...) SNIP (...) Was 'Oops' the one on Fox network that took place in a post-nuclear world with all the charcters having a streak of gray hair? I think I remember a rude businessman character. Jeff (22 years ago, 24-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: So here's a light question....

(...) Ha! Yup!- Cursor was cool-making anything the script, er Automan, called for! Didn't Automan rate himself an '11' on a scale of 10? (like his inventor, I think) (...) I thought 'Sledgehammer' was wicked funny! (I was younger then too, so I'd (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: So here's a light question....

(...) Does anyone remember the show 'Oops!' ? Now that was an absurd and altogether hilarious comedy. Yes, they always cancel the good shows. -Mike Petrucelli (22 years ago, 24-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: ironic [Re: Ticket prices going up]

(...) In Norway, too. To put it simple, you can more or less walk and camp whereever you want, as long as it is in a fair distance from houses where people live, and as long as you are not a disturbance. You must alsot avoid disturbing live stock. (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  ironic [Re: Ticket prices going up]

(...) Has the "end" been reached? ;) I expect I’m not alone in finding your comments rather ironic. Much of the discussion I am having with David has centred on whether or not I give adequate justification for statements I make. Lets look at your (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: So here's a light question....

(...) Yeah!! And what about 'Other World'? I never did find out how they got back. 'Automan'? Always loved those 90 degree turns. 'Sledgehammer'? Now there was a classic police show if I ever saw one. :) -H. (22 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  So here's a light question....

Why is it that the shows I really like get cancelled? I loved 'Sports Night'--gone after 2 seasons. ''KRP'? Like the wind... And now 'Firefly'. Grr!!! At least Babylon 5 eeked out the 5 seasons that jms wanted, and MASH got its 11. But it seems as (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I knew that, but you spoiled the joke. Killjoy. ;-) -->Bruce<-- (22 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) It may be an urban myth, but I'm pretty sure that in the UK we are allowed a 10% margin of error. Scott A (22 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: illegal Taxpayer funded campaigning ?

(...) David, I'm sure you'll agree that in this "free world" we have a duty to respect others before we exercise our freedoms – no matter where we/they are. The best argument I've heard against the SUV culture was from Moores "Stupid White Men": (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Indeed, can not argue with that (...) I don't view it as cut and dry as that. can you be 100% sure that your speedo is that accurate. your speedo might be registering 98Kph but your actual speed may be 102Kph. there is a fair bit of debate (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) IIRC the earthquake occurred at around 5:04pm, so I would guess that moron probably wrote ~your~ ticket earlier in the day. Maggie C. (22 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: illegal Taxpayer funded campaigning ?

(...) Right you are... sorry for missing that! (22 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Ok, you have clarified your stance. The way I read that post, it seemed to take a different view that you were expressing now. Frank (22 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I got a parking ticket notice from the city of San Francisco a number of years back. I was a bit puzzled since I hadn't been there in a year, but how do I prove it? It was as easy as checking the date: a half dozen of us were in SoCal (or (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Now that is one of the most enlightening points of view on this subject I have heard in years! :) I must add though, that if driving is just a privilege (as you and so many law enforcers have said), then what would the state do if no one (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I am fascinated by this thread. I consider myself one who is generally lawful and generally appreciative of law and codes of conduct. Yet, I admittedly do not adhere to speed regulations while operating motor vehicles or heavy equipment. Be it (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: illegal Taxpayer funded campaigning ?

(...) Oh come on Larry, it's quite clearly meant to refer to Sterling currency. In for a "1p" in for a "£". Mind you I wonder what we'll say if we ever take the plunge? "In for a cent, in for a Euro" sounds rubbish. (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Frank, I am not sure what you are seeing there -- I think it was my intent to be cautious about saying anything for certain about that instance of possible child beating. I did subsequently see the camera/video footage of the beating and if (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: illegal Taxpayer funded campaigning ?

(...) I've actually seen the SUV ad and appreciated it-it was a good play on sweet and innocent girl doing the voice over against her actual words, much like the satire 'See Spot Run' cartoons I've seen in the past, in which Spot is not anything (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Now I remember why I appreciate you in .debate (as if I'd ever forget...) ;) Not to give you a way of procrastinating... The fastest I've ever driven myself was 190 kph. It was in my new (then) 1986 Honda Prelude, and it was going down the (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I'm curious if this is a change in stance from this post of yours: (URL) 17688, you seemed to be willing to take action based on a single camera (granted, a video camera, but still, just from a single angle). I am cautious of taking action (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I gotta be bored at work ;) I'm not talking about what may happen. I'm talking about what did happen--someone drove over the speed limit and a picture was taken. No one had a pic taken because they were 'going to' break the speed limit--that's (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  illegal Taxpayer funded campaigning ?

In for a penny, in for a pound (1), as they say... Herewith an article from Reason, one of my favorite magazines: (URL) the case that our Drug Czar has been using taxpayer funds to cock referendums without obeying the proper forms... I hope NV finds (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I'm not scared, I'm not apprehensive, I'm just busy. Not SO busy that I wasn't willing to toss one post in, but busy enough that I wanted to keep it short. It's a large topic, it's been visited before, etc. As for doing away with ot-d, I (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Just to poke in again for a minute... I don't consider traveling by common conveyance a "privilege" (at least it should be considered a right in my view). One should be able to travel as a matter of right unless specific damages caused by one (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) On this I completely concur--DUI has to be the thing that gets my blood in a boil the most. Traffic weavers are also something I have mentioned that the cameras could and should help catch. It's not the 10 kph crowd I'm having a holy tirade (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Larry didn't say the cameras cause accidents. He said the use of the cameras causes accidents. One the one hand, I see the appeal of a totally automated ticketting system. On the other hand, I wonder who is going to apply human judgement. What (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) And again, I would concur with you, Richard--systems should not 'rule' the individual, and Justice should not be left up to machines. But two of the most vocal folks on the side of 'science' are doing away with science when science interferes (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

Larry is 100% correct here. His uncharacteristic succinctness is probably just his not wanting to get sucked back into OTD, just as I do not wish to be sucked back in either. But the law must actually be more than merely "just." It has to make sense (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) And I definitly concur with the idea that laws should, and must, be just. That said, the posted limit is 100 kph. It is my view that anyone doing anything above 100 kph is, in fact, breaking the law. Pretty much cut 'n dry. Whether the QEW or (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Putting aside whether it's your civic duty to peacefully break unjust laws or not (a topic in its own right!),we're finding here in the states that just because you get a ticket (mailed to you), it doesn't mean you necessarily broke the law. I (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Ticket prices going up

So I'm at my friendly neighbourhood automechanic this morning, getting some much needed work done on my vehicle, and I overhear an older gentleman talking about his trip to Alberta. He said that, when he was in Alberta, he found out that the (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The ability to sue anyone...

(...) They are not the only ones: 500,000 are stolen in the USA each year. It appears that either the thieves are determined and/or no responsibilities come with ownership. :-/ Scott A (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customer "Service"

(...) Dave, Thanx, man, that's good to hear. Peace and Long Life, Tony Alexander (22 years ago, 18-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Freedom from information

(...) As an aside, this letter made it into the Guardian yesterday: ==+== Matthew Engel says (Move over John Wayne, January 14) anti-war demos "still failed to get reported anywhere that matters". After reports in the New York Times failed to do (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pepsi, Coke or Mecca?

(...) I'm pretty sure it is. (...) How did you find the air in fountain bridge? (...) Yes, just along from the Cale’ Sample Rooms. (...) ;) Diggers is a good bar, but not worth making a huge effort for. More of a curiosity really. Pubs worth looking (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Is this ammunition against Sex Offender Registration?

Is this ammunition against sex offender registration? (URL) law enforcement step up to protect this man's rights? I'm not saying that some people may not continue to be dangerous. I'm not saying that this individual will continue to be dangerous. We (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The ability to sue anyone...

(URL) I will agree that *if* the store was not keeping proper records, and losing guns as stated, someone should sue their pants off... But I would expand the suit to include the NRA (buncha gun toting yahoos), the peeps who feel that they have the (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The Commons Lose Big: Eldred v. Ashcroft

(URL) now everything belongs to huge, multinational corporations -- possibly forever. Too bad Robert Louis Stevenson did not live to see a day when he could have prevented an abomination like Disney's "Treasure Planet." Funny how a corporate entity (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact