 Off-Topic / Debate / 18749
Re: Ticket prices going up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:35:30 GMT

If you have the money, the inclination, and love the risk of getting in an
accident, go right ahead.  Don't pay these 'bills' and you wont get the
priviledge of driving for very long.

Just to poke in again for a minute...

I don't consider traveling by common conveyance a "privilege" (at least it
should be considered a right in my view).

One should be able to travel as a matter of right unless specific damages
caused by one should result in a restraining order prohibiting one from
driving a car.

I don't believe in preventative laws -- I believe only in acts and consequences.

Again, referring to "Minority Report", it is not what you might do that
creates causes of action in law -- but what you did do.

BTW, I don't have a problem with irrefutable evidence.  If several camera
angles could prove the crime and the actor in the crime then maybe cameras
could be useful tools. One shot of a license plate and the claim of a radar
detecting X speed is not exactly sufficient proof in my mind.

-- Hop-Frog

I gotta be bored at work ;)

I'm not talking about what may happen.  I'm talking about what did
happen--someone drove over the speed limit and a picture was taken.  No one
had a pic taken because they were 'going to' break the speed limit--that's
not how these cameras work.  If your car is sitting before the little white
line, the camera doesn't take your picture.  It's when your car is in the
middle of the intersection, as in you drove your car into the middle of the
intersection while the light was red--something happened and a law was broken...

As for the matter of irrefutable evidence, science, as I'm continuously
told, is pretty much consistant.  If a machine can detect the speed of an
object repeatedly, and has done so all over the world and in many different
formats (ball games, so I'm told, use such devices to record the speed of
the ball as it leaves the pitchers hand), that to balk against such science
would be, in a word, moronic.  'But officer, I wasn't doing 110, I was only
doing 80!'  Look, the device said 110.  Machines are incapable of lying for
lying is a human trait.  Machines can be inaccurate, I'll give you, but such
systems would be found out quickly and discarded and/or fixed.  I'm sure
there are ways of testing these devices before they are used for such
purposes as ticketing fast drivers.  On the whole, imho, these devices that
measure speed are not bleeding edge anymore.

Here I am defending science against the people who love science.

If we can detect the distance of the moon to a matter of millimeters, you
can sit there and tell me that we can't detect Joe Speeder to a matter of
1-2 kph?

Last, having a licence is a priviledge, not a right--if you act in a way
that does not promote safety on the streets, you run the risk of losing your
licence.  Losing your licence by no means inhibits your right to free
movement--your arms and legs are not tied up when you lose your licence, nor
are public transportation and/or cabs withdrawn from your usage if you lose
your licence.  Because you acted like an idiot--disobeying traffic laws--and
were caught breaking the law, by no means limits your ability to move
about--you just can't move about with you sitting behind a wheel of a car.

Anyway, is an idea and I'm just throwing it out there.

I must be in a mood--sorry 'bout that.

Dave K