 Off-Topic / Debate / 18757
Re: Ticket prices going up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:02:04 GMT

Now it's heresay--all third party yippage--but here's the thing--I would
*fully* and *wholehartedly* support *any* increase of cost for *any* traffic
violation, for here's what people are forgetting--if you received a ticket
due to a traffic violation--wait for it--you *BROKE THE LAW*.

Putting aside whether it's your civic duty to peacefully break unjust laws
or not (a topic in its own right!),we're finding here in the states that
just because you get a ticket (mailed to you), it doesn't mean you
necessarily broke the law.

I got a parking ticket notice from the city of San Francisco a number of
years back.  I was a bit puzzled since I hadn't been there in a year, but
how do I prove it?  It was as easy as checking the date: a half dozen of us
were in SoCal (or southern half of the San Andreas fault) watching San
Francisco shake to pieces that day during the world series between the
Giants and A's.  I'm still trying to figure out what moron was handing out
parking tickets that day....

I would refer you to posts about red light cameras made here... these
cameras aren't always right, and need to be stopped, they're bogus. Worse,
they're encouraging authorities to tinker with the light timings to
manufacture more transgressors as a revenue enhancement opportunity,
incidentally causing a lot more rearend accidents than the T-bones that are
prevented.

Locally, the CHP just constantly recycles their patrol around a steep hill
on the 57 Freeway.  Post signs saying "Watch Downhill Speed"?  And ruin good
revenue flow?

I don't speed much anyway, I just go around corners with unposted limits
without slowing down.  :-)

-->Bruce<--