 Off-Topic / Debate / 18739
18738  |  18740
Subject:
Ticket prices going up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:44:10 GMT

So I'm at my friendly neighbourhood automechanic this morning, getting some
much needed work done on my vehicle, and I overhear an older gentleman
talking about his trip to Alberta.

He said that, when he was in Alberta, he found out that the provincial gov't
has raised the cost of traffic infractions--for some infractions by 400 percent.

He also mentioned that the folks in Alberta are upset by this 'tax grab' (as
they call it, according to this gentleman).

Now it's heresay--all third party yippage--but here's the thing--I would
*fully* and *wholehartedly* support *any* increase of cost for *any* traffic
violation, for here's what people are forgetting--if you received a ticket
due to a traffic violation--wait for it--you *BROKE THE LAW*.

Quit your yapping about the cost of the ticket!  You broke the law.
Someone, somewhere, put into provincial law, that the speed limit on this
particular highway is 100 kph.  If you're doing 101-anything obsenely above
that, guess what--you broke the law!  You're a criminal and criminals get
punished.  It's that simple.

You don't want to pay the 450 dollar fine for doing 30 kph over the speed
limit?  Well my obtuse friend, all *you* have to do is not go 30 kph above
the *posted* speed limit.  That's all, that's it, that's all you have to do.

If you have a problem with the speed limit, there are ways for petitioning
your case thru proper *legal* channels to change the speed limit.  If folks
feel that safety takes priority over the idea that you want to do 160 on a
major highway, then suck up, shut up, and drive the *posted* limit--the
people have spoken--it's the law.

If I were in charge, I'd put cameras on every overhead sign, every
overpass/bridge/signpost, and take a beautiful 8x10 of any and every vehicle
that's going above the posted speed limit and mail it to the transgressors
house, along with a 'bill' that they have to pay for the 'priviledge of
driving faster than us law abiding folk'.

I'd say something like, 'you wanna drive fast?  Well, then, you're going to
pay for that want.  You want to do the weave in high volume traffic?  Here's
your bill.  You want to use on and off ramps as passing lanes?  Cough up the
cash and you can continue to do it.  Every time you do these things, though,
we're gonna take a nice pic of your car and send you an invoice.  Don't pay
your invooice?  Lose your license.  Done and done.'

Wow, I'm glad I'm not in charge of the MTO.

Dave K