 Off-Topic / Debate / 18756
Re: Ticket prices going up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:40:22 GMT

But unfortunately for the state, if one buys into that argument that the
state makes for its convenience in not messing around with messy old due
process, then speeding regulations are indeed not laws, and you are not a
law breaker if you flout them. You are merely a contract violator.
(completely demolishing your argument about the need to comply... only civil
penalties apply.)

Now that is one of the most enlightening points of view on this subject I
have heard in years!  :)

I must add though, that if driving is just a privilege (as you and so many
law enforcers have said), then what would the state do if no one applied for
that privilege?  I mean really, the economy of much of the industrialized
world (especially the coasts of the US anyway) are currently dependent on
the highways and the vehicles that use them.  Many people wouldn't get to
work without a car or a bus.  Goods wouldn't get from point A to B without
trucks.

A car is a means of transportation.  Before cars, did people have to
register for permits to own horses or wagons?  (Seriously, I don't know.
Did they?)

Basically it seems like these regulations do serve some public safety
purpose, but to say it is not a right to have transport in this day and age
seems ridiculous.  It seems like it is just a way to tax and control people.
When tea was overtaxed, the Bostonians tossed it in the Harbor.  Could you
imagine if Boston (or any major city) protested by not driving?  Great
Recession here we come.  ...Wanna do your civic duty?  Keep driving.  But
recognize the power is yours, not theirs.  (Well, okay, this is my own
not-so-humble opinion.)

1 - As an aside, we could discuss what the fastest one had ever gone while
in a car on a public road was, if there was interest... not sure there is
though. Let me say this, the trip through rural Germany on narrow two lane
roads at 225 kph that Ben and his co-conspirator Torsten took me on when I
visited them was nowhere near the top speed for me....

Ahaha.  I shall refrain so as to not incriminate myself.  :)

Okay.  NOW, my babbling is done.
-Hendo