 Off-Topic / Debate / 18742
Re: Ticket prices going up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:18:34 GMT

Larry is 100% correct here.  His uncharacteristic succinctness is probably
just his not wanting to get sucked back into OTD, just as I do not wish to
be sucked back in either.

But the law must actually be more than merely "just." It has to make sense
in the way it is conceived and articulated in law, the manner in which it is
intended to be understood by those subject to the law, and in the manner in
which it is enforced.

There is an enormous problem with the concept of the "infraction" on land.
I would tend to argue that you have either committed a crime or not.  If it
is agreed that a crime has been committed, I would then argue that you have
either commited a misdemeanor or a felony -- that there is no other category
of crime for which you can be held responsible in a free society.  To all
crimes there must be witnesses and evidence that proves guilt beyond a
reasonable doubt.

The move towards reliance on machines that will do all of this work is
obviously very wrong-headed.  If machines could capture the essence of
things then we wouldn't even need the "real world."  The problem is this:
filmed violence looks convincingly real until you realize that all of those
punches thrown by the stunt men don't even connect -- in fact, the violence
is filmed in such a way to simulate the reality of violence without actually
enacting the violence, sound effects are added in later to increase the
illusion.

I happen to just have seen "The Minority Report" last night and I think that
it is interesting to imagine all the ways we could really screw up people's
rights if we wanted to do so.  Of course, I am still hoping against hope
that we actually do not want to live under 24/7 surveillance.  Then again,
most people are so stupid that they actually think that having the wolf
guard the henhouse is a good idea -- we do still have Shrub in the White
House after all...

-- Hop-Frog