 Off-Topic / Debate / 18753
Re: Ticket prices going up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:18:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
In 17688, you seemed to be willing to take action based on a single
camera (granted, a video camera, but still, just from a single angle).

I am cautious of taking action based on a single camera angle.

Frank, I am not sure what you are seeing there -- I think it was my intent
to be cautious about saying anything for certain about that instance of
possible child beating.  I did subsequently see the camera/video footage of
the beating and if memory serves you could both identify the woman and note
that she struck her child several times with a closed fist. While the camera
angle remained stationary, the woman herself was in movement. If I were a
judge in such a case I would also consider evidence discrediting the video
footage. Goes both ways. No matter what, I would want to keep the family
together and make sure they get the counseling they need -- no need to jump
thee gun by putting mother or child into the criminal justice system or
whatever...

Going back to the speeding or stop light scenarios...

I am not sure that camera footage from several angles would be that easy to
discredit, esp. if at least one camera shows a driver's face.  Larry
suggests that one possible defense is inadequate time to stop while the
light is shifting from yellow to red.  Other obvious defenses are to attack
the accuracy of the timing mechanism in the cameras or the veracity of the
radar.  But let's face it, who is going to mount that kind of defense over a
ticket that may be less than a day's pay off from work -- and that's the
main thing right there!

I have no problem supporting a bible-like need for two witnesses to every
crime.  We shouldn't take any criminal or quasi-criminal matter lightly.

-- Hop-Frog