 Off-Topic / Debate / 18744
Re: Ticket prices going up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:23:29 GMT

David Koudys wrote:
What did the camera do, exactly, to cause these accidents?

Larry didn't say the cameras cause accidents. He said the use of the
cameras causes accidents.

One the one hand, I see the appeal of a totally automated ticketting
system. On the other hand, I wonder who is going to apply human
judgement. What do you do about the ticket you got for exceeding the
speed limit because you saw a car hurtling out of a side road, and
decided the best way to avoid an accident was to speed up? Also, what
speed limit do you travel at if you will get a ticket for exceeding the
speed limit by 1 mph/kph?

When a ticket is issued by a real person, the real person has the option
to not issue the ticket based on a judgement call (for example not
issuing you a ticket for going 1mph over the limit while you are dodging
cars going 20 mph over the limit). You also have the opportunity to
justify your action to the officer (I noticed the driver of the car I
just passed drinking a beer, and decided the SAFEST place was to be
AHEAD of him [sure, you could slow down, but you still have increased
danger when you come across the accident, whereas if you speed up 10mph
and pass him, at get a mile or two ahead, you are no longer in any
danger from him]).

I wish cops would spend more time ticketing dangerous maneuvers
(including the little old lady travelling 30 mph in the left lane and
the guy weaving in and out of rush hour traffic) and less on nailing
someone going 10mph over the limit on a deserted highway. I'd rather see
drunk drivers get more than 8 days in jail...

Frank