 Off-Topic / Debate / 18745
Re: Ticket prices going up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:40:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
David Koudys wrote:
What did the camera do, exactly, to cause these accidents?

Larry didn't say the cameras cause accidents. He said the use of the
cameras causes accidents.

One the one hand, I see the appeal of a totally automated ticketting
system. On the other hand, I wonder who is going to apply human
judgement. What do you do about the ticket you got for exceeding the
speed limit because you saw a car hurtling out of a side road, and
decided the best way to avoid an accident was to speed up? Also, what
speed limit do you travel at if you will get a ticket for exceeding the
speed limit by 1 mph/kph?

When a ticket is issued by a real person, the real person has the option
to not issue the ticket based on a judgement call (for example not
issuing you a ticket for going 1mph over the limit while you are dodging
cars going 20 mph over the limit). You also have the opportunity to
justify your action to the officer (I noticed the driver of the car I
just passed drinking a beer, and decided the SAFEST place was to be
AHEAD of him [sure, you could slow down, but you still have increased
danger when you come across the accident, whereas if you speed up 10mph
and pass him, at get a mile or two ahead, you are no longer in any
danger from him]).

I wish cops would spend more time ticketing dangerous maneuvers
(including the little old lady travelling 30 mph in the left lane and
the guy weaving in and out of rush hour traffic) and less on nailing
someone going 10mph over the limit on a deserted highway. I'd rather see
drunk drivers get more than 8 days in jail...

Frank

On this I completely concur--DUI has to be the thing that gets my blood in a
boil the most.

Traffic weavers are also something I have mentioned that the cameras could
and should help catch.  It's not the 10 kph crowd I'm having a holy tirade
against--it's the idiots in the SUV's and anything German, that feel they
own the roads--using off/on ramps as passing lanes, doing 160 in  and out of
traffic.  But where does one draw the line?  If I say that you won't get
ticketed until you do 130ish, then why is the speed limit 100?  And what
happened to the word 'limit'?

Someone in my little IS department has been nabbed by a red light camera
many times over the time he has worked with me (at least 4 times in 2
years).  He has had these camera tickets overturned each and every time.  So
yeah, there are flaws in the system, and there are ways of getting Justice,
and not depending totally on a machine.

I wasn't quoting Larry directly this time, but the article linked a long
time ago (the last time this issue was raised) said in the title (iirc) "Red
Light Cameras Cause Accidents."  That's what I was remembering.

And if someone sees that a light has turned yellow, has enough time to stop
safely, but proceeds anyway, and the light turns red even before he reaches
the intersection, and he drives right thru, but there is no officer around
to see it (for we don't have the peoplepower to watch every intersection),
then where's the harm in putting a red light camera up?  We're just billing
the driver for the priviledge of driving thru a red.  Yes, instead of
thinking of these things as 'breaking the law', let us instead think of
these things as 'paying for the priviledge to do these things'.  If you have
the money, the inclination, and love the risk of getting in an accident, go
right ahead.  Don't pay these 'bills' and you wont get the priviledge of
driving for very long.

Dave K