 Off-Topic / Debate / 18752
Re: illegal Taxpayer funded campaigning ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:14:08 GMT

In for a penny, in for a pound (1), as they say...

Herewith an article from Reason, one of my favorite magazines:

http://www.reason.com/hod/df011603.shtml

making the case that our Drug Czar has been using taxpayer funds to cock
referendums without obeying the proper forms... I hope NV finds against him
and his ilk, it would be a good lesson. Not that it would be taken to heart
by Jr. though...

And another tangentially related:

http://www.reason.com/cy/cy011403.shtml

as you may recall the LP ran an ad mocking the drug warriors and their
shoddy reasoning some time ago... glad to see the anti SUV crowd doing the
same (2), even if I have little sympathy for their cause.

1 - a pound of what? The saying doesn't specify. I choose not to say either.
2 - arguably without realising it, if you think about it, the ads seem to be
serious rather than mocking. All the more reason to savor them!

++Lar

I've actually seen the SUV ad and appreciated it-it was a good play on sweet
and innocent girl doing the voice over against her actual words, much like
the satire 'See Spot Run' cartoons I've seen in the past, in which Spot is
not anything like a perfect dog--the entire cartoon is illustrated like a
kids book though.

Now I have an 88 Dodge Dakota pickup truck that, I'm sure, isn't great on
gas by any stretch of the imagination.  I did drive Honda's for years, and
I've been told that they are pretty good on gas, but that's not the point.

I think my point is that... SUV... Sport Utility Vehicle...  My friend once
remarked that he met up with a lady once, who was driving one of these
SUV's--the SUV was decked out with all the fancy packages money could buy,
up to and including the winch on the front bumper... and she wouldn't drive
across a torn[up road for fear of getting her vehicle 'dirty'.

I think that's why I have it in for the SUV crowd--'xplain to me what good
an SUV is to you when a Mazda'll do ya.

But we live in a free world  in which money buys pleasure--so buy the fancy
SUV's and never use 'em as such--matters not to me.  I have a POC pickup,
adn I use it as a pickup.  Not everyday to be sure, but I am a single man
living in a single apartment, and I cannot afford to go out and buy two
vehicles to cover both ends of the spectrum.

I will, however, start saving up for my first hybrid and get it as soon as I
possibly can, for I would like to buck against the pollution.

But that's just me.

Oh, btw, legalize pot!  If smokes are legal (and say what you will about the
campaign against smokes, it's still legal to buy 'em (over 19 in this
province) and still smoke 'em (outside)), and it's legal to drink alcohol,
for heavens sakes, pot--c'mon.

I'll never smoke up, but why ruin the fun of those that want to.

Which brings up another question my friend and I were discussing--

The ad compaigns against drinking and driving and are they effective
anymore?  Should there be more or less anti D&D push?

My logic is that push all you want--those that do not drink and drive, who
understand the ramificaitons thereof, and are responsible citizens, will not
all of a sudden start drinking and driving 'cause there are more commercials
on the air--"I realize how stupid it is to drink and drive, but gosh darn
it, those commercials are really pi$$ing me off so I'm going out to do just
that to spite 'em!"

No, I don't think that is what happens.  I do think, however, that you must
'change the tune' after a while--speaking the same sentence over and over
again will just tune people out, no matter how true the sentence happens to be.

The new commercials are great--'If you D&D, you will end up in a cell along
with this guy...' (very 'institutionalized and big convict saying, 'come
here honey...')  Is like that t-shirt that's making the rounds (and again,
I've seen pics on the internet) 'This is your whatever (small circle)--This
is your whatever in jail (big circle)'.

Incentive to not get myself incarcerated, above and beyond the idea that I
like obeying the law.

Change the tune as long as the song remains the same (Zep heads out there ;)
) and preach it to your hearts content--you're not going to win over the
choir, for they're on your side already, but if you win one person over to
doing the right thing, then it was worth the campaign.

Dave K

Dave K