 Off-Topic / Debate / 18762
Re: illegal Taxpayer funded campaigning ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:46:36 GMT

But we live in a free world  in which money buys pleasure--so buy the fancy
SUV's and never use 'em as such--matters not to me.  I have a POC pickup,
adn I use it as a pickup.  Not everyday to be sure, but I am a single man
living in a single apartment, and I cannot afford to go out and buy two
vehicles to cover both ends of the spectrum.

David,
I'm sure you'll agree that in this "free world" we have a duty to respect
others before we exercise our freedoms – no matter where we/they are. The
best argument I've heard against the SUV culture was from Moores "Stupid
White Men":

==+==
The year the auto companies reported their best gas
mileage-1987, during the reign of Ronald Reagan-the average
car got 26 miles per gallon. Yet after the eight years of eco-
friendly Bill Clinton-who promised that cars would be getting
40 miles per gallon by the end of his presidency-the average
miles per gallon for vehicles went *down* to 24.7. General Motors
threw a lavish party in Washington for Clinton's 1993 inauguration.
I guess it's just impolite to upset the host of a party given in
your honour.

Clinton's greatest gift to the Big Three automakers was
exempting SUV s from the mileage requirements of regular passenger
cars. Because of this exemption, these gas gluttons use up
an extra 280,000 barrels of fuel each day. That fuel demand is one
of the reasons the Bush administration is pushing to drill in the
Arctic National Preserve in Alaska. Bush says the drilling will give
us an extra 580,000 barrels of oil each day, enough to double the
number of UVs on the road.
==+==

All that was written before the Iraq-Bush-Oil debate. Like I say, we have a
duty to respect others before we exercise our freedoms.

I will, however, start saving up for my first hybrid and get it as soon as I
possibly can, for I would like to buck against the pollution.

Kudos to you.

Last year I said goodbye to small car ownership, and opted for a family
sized car. My old car was 950cc and did 40mpg, my new car is 1600cc and does
47mpg [these are measured by me based on the kind driving I do]. It's a
funny old world.

Scott A