 Off-Topic / Debate / 18791
Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:39:55 GMT

Haven't found much--empty missles and whathaveyou

That seems enough to me. Make no mistake, Iraq has WoMD, has had them for
ages, and is doing everything in its power to confound the inspectors. The
inspectors have the wrong task. Instead of nosing around looking for stuff
they ought to be making the Iraqis prove they destroyed everything in
accordance with what they agreed to when they signed the cease fire in 91.

And Dubya says that his 'intelligence agencies' have 'proof' that Saddam has
these things that the inspectors are looking for.

So my question is why isn't this supposed info given to the inspectors?
Wouldn't this info be useful to the inspection team?  "Hey, go down route 43
until you get to a side road, and off the side of the side road, you'll see
a brwn building--our intelligence agencies tell us that there's anthrax in
there--go have a look.  See if we're right."

They go... Leaks in their office mean the bulldozers and cleanup crews have
time to swing into action, nothing's found at the location (SOP it seems). 1
hour later Iraqi secret police show up at the doors of whoever could have
given the info to the 'murricans and pop them... no more informers.

Suddenly it gets a lot harder to get intelligence because all the informers
realise they aren't going to have anonymity and aren't going to get
protected from arbitrary waxing.

Bush is right (for once, mark your calendar!) you don't just go releasing
intelligence willy nilly if you want to get more. (read up on Enigma...
Churchill let Conventry get firebombed to protect the secret, IIRC)

Just to clear up any confusion here... This inspection thing is utterly
laughable. If you accept the premise that it's America's duty to keep the
world safe from tinpots, the US has plenty of justification already (e.g.
they fire on planes enforcing a term of the cease fire they signed. QED...)
to go pound Saddam and his 49 kids. No need for this charade, no need for
more evidence.

I just don't *accept* that premise (that we are necessarily obligated to
save the world), so I oppose the war. But not because inspections are going
to do any good in the long run or ought to be given more time to work or any
of that folderol. Merely because we ought to stop shouldering the burden.

Let the Kuwaitis and the Saudis do it, they created or fostered a fair bit
of the mess. For that matter, let the French and the Germans defend Europe
and let the South Koreans deal with their nuclear cousins, and stop giving
any military aid to Israel or Egypt or anyone else.