 Off-Topic / Debate / 18849
Re: Leaks (was Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 01:04:01 GMT

My point was, as some folks pointed out in rebuttal to Powell's
presentation, is that the US should turn over info to the inspectors.

No, sorry, don't buy it. We do not have an obligation to turn over
intelligence to the UN if that intelligence is going to be immediately
leaked to the Iraqis and if, further, doing so is going to compromise the
sources (remember what that means in intelligence-speak... the sources get
killed)

Yes
the Iraqis should do more to accomodate the inspection process, but just by
showing us that the US had this info before today, the US is in violation of
1441.

So we want the Iraqis to comply, but the US is flagrantly disregarding 1441.
Now I understand the reasons the US thinks it has to defy the resolution,
but it just seems to me as vaguely hypocritical.

This is laughable. Really. WE are FLAGRANTLY disregarding the resolution?
You've got to be kidding me.

They're inspectors, not detectives. The obligation is on the *Iraqis* to
come clean, to open up, to PROVE they've disarmed. NOT on the inspectors to
prove they didn't. It so happens that this proves, again, the Iraqis didn't.
Just like Blix's report proved the Iraqis didn't. (and umpteen before them too)

Apparently the US needs to rub the world's nose in it over and over before
certain apologists admit the truth. The UN is worthless. The leadership of
France and Germany are apparently also worthless. This just proves it yet again.