 Off-Topic / Debate / 18854
Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:08:14 GMT

<snip> I would like to see some sort of final settlement made that had real
teeth
against any further disrupting party and Israel would have to give up • major
tracks of land, but let's be honest: the best way to diffuse the situation
is for the various countries of Europe that persecuted the jews so that • they
were inspired to migrate, pay to take them back and re-establish them in
Europe.  Not gonna happen?  So, as usual, the US is stuck with a mess
created by Europe.  Not that I care for what we have done with it, mind
you.
</snip>
How is the US stuck with it?

Europe creating a migratory mess?  Not taking responsiblity for it?

As your own country's history shows, anti-Semitism, ethnic cleansing, genocide
and racial/ethnic/religious intolerance is not a uniquely European experience.
Zionism  was an established philosophy well before WW2 and some form of Jewish
state/region was inevitable before the true extent of the brutality of the Nazi
Germany was revealed.

You are right paying "to take them back" is not going to happen – nor should
it. If you take a look at what the EU has been doing in the ME over the last
10-20 years, you'll see that we can see beyond Israel. The EU has been funding
initiatives in the PA to help educate and police the population . I can't find
a cite right now, but I'm sure the EU has also offered to help fund the
withdrawal from the occupied territories.

The reality is that none of this works as nationalists in Israel [and to a
lesser extent in the PA] don't want it to work. Israel has a flow of arms
[largely from the USA, but also France and others in the past] since UDI that
has meant it does not have to be a good neighbour. You can say that this is the
Europe’s mess and the USA is clearing up, but none of that explain the US's
shocking voting record at the UN where Israel is concerned.

Scott A