 Off-Topic / Debate / 18816
Re: namecalling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 22:33:15 GMT

Another idea, though, is "Thanks for coming to the party (albeit *very* late
and only because you were attacked yourselves, so don't act like it was all
'For the good of the world'--if Japan hadn't done the Pearl Harbour thing,
the xenophobic tendancies of the American people would probably have
prevailed against a president that wanted to get into the war for all the
right reasons, but that's another story) and helping with the Allies--it's
not as if the *Americans* won the war--the Allies did.

Very true.

It was a harsh war
and it would have taken far longer for the Allies to win had the Americans
not entered it, but, eventually, the Allies would have won

*Ahem*
Without American manpower, yes; without American Lend-lease, Britain would
have been forced to truce eventually. And that would mean more Axis soldiers
to the Eastern Front, which in turn would mean perhaps the Soviets could not
hold on until winter in '41.

and I'll tell you
why-- 'cause there are people who believe *fundamentally* that tyranny is a
bad thing, and that fighting against that line, in whatever means necessary,
is the right and Just thing to do.

I'd love to think like that, but the bitter irony is that the majority of
those who died (50% of TOTAL war casualties) were ordered to fight for their
lives by another tyrant. Their victory granted them less than a year of
sunshine before 45 more of harsh dictatorship...

And that's the bottom line.  England was a wee bit of a Tyrant back before
1776, and the Americans decided to revolt against that.  I may once again
point out that today, that wonderful little country to the north also enjoys
the same rights and freedoms as the Americans without *one* shot being fired.

Eventually the tyrants will fall--people, societies, civilizations will grow
up--it's the human mind and the human mind will not be denied.

The thing that tyrants seem to forget is that they too are subject to the
laws of nature. They too die, despite whatever effort they commit to hold on
to power.

So sure, pull the troops out of the rest of the world and back behind your
borders America--in the 21st century you will come to know that real power
doesn't lie in arms and tanks and the like and as civilized society
progresses, these armaments will become less and less relevant.  I believe
it--for history has shown this to be true.  It's a little thing called
evolution--we don't regress, we progress.

I partially agree with you, Dave. If that is true for OUR societies, it's
not a universal truth at this point in time. It would take ages to give
every single human being the education to understand why war is futile:
ignorance fuels violent conflictiveness, inequality only fuels
conflictiveness. the first is a lot more important to fight against, IMHO.

I just wanted to say that it was a good discussion, at least for a while.

It still is, despite the subject line :-)

Pedro