 Off-Topic / Debate / 18822
Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:17:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

Both, but only the first is really important (for the second I prefer
cunning diplomacy).
The difficulty in the defense of Europe against any military threat has to
do with the almost impossibility of establishing standards for a unified
army. Two come are obvious: WHO decides what to do, and WHICH language do we
speak as a standard? Both can be solved *in time*, when everyone is prepared
to drop nationalist feelings (outside of sports arenas :-)

Esperanto: that will simply annoy everyone.  French: the french ears will be
offended by the corruption of their language!  English: it would drive
everyone nuts trying to figure out whether they should say Lew-ten-ant or
Left-ten-ant, Kernal or Collinoll.

Not to mention it would be a nightmare in terms of crypting; everyone
already speaks English anyway :-D

German: ever hear impossible germanic
polysyllabic compound words?  I still have nightmares about "Battle Turn
Away" in German (Lindsay will support me on this one, I bet).

Actually, I'm learning German. It's not even half as hard as I had thought!
(ok, so it takes *time* to learn... ;-)

Spanish:
maybe, as long as you don't have to lisp because some ancient Spanish king
had a speech impediment (ooooo, are you gonna correct me so fast on this
one...).

Nope. If there is a difference between my own language and Spanish, that's
the one: no kings with speech impediments :-D

Italian: why not jetison the vulgaris and go straight to the
source...Latin: on second thought, too catholic.

Worse, too Scientific. The names for the arms would become a bit like plant
names: "Antitanquus autopropulsiunata canonus CLV milimetrus"... or worse,
"Helicopterus transportus armatus missili et canonii rotativi XXX milimetrus
et extremitatis Uranium in projectilii". Just go on adding names to cover
all distinct features :-D

Greek: it's greek to me,
never mind.  Russian: at least they have a phonetic alphabet but who wants
to talk like they are gargling rocks?  Irish Gaelic: awright!  My choice....

Okay, I think I see the problem.  :-)

That is likely to be the greatest challenge to the EU in the 21st century,
the quest for the common language. Even if consensus is reached, then we're
left with the logistical problem of teaching 450 million people that speech
- a nightmare from all angles.

Mind you, I'm not saying European States can't fight; I'm not even saying
they can't win a defensive war; all I'm saying is that there would be a
tremendous inneficience in doing so without the American assistance. The
paradox is that the only nation who can force Europeans to have a single
Army is not even European... :-P

That they are not thinking offensively is probably a good thing - look at
the temptations America has with the world's last big fleet.

And the funny thing is, it is not necessary to its full extent. The Brits
got back the Falklands using a carrier due to be scrapped and outdated
Vulcans to refuel two dozen Harriers!
In the end, it's how the resources are employed that matters; much can be
done with little.

I mean the whole of the 20th century.  The United States was dragged into
two massive and terrible land wars in Europe in the preceeding century.  The
best way to avoid things getting out of hand again is to take an active part
in the process.

That argument has little value from the day the Iron Curtain fell. There are
no longer conflicting blocks of interest in Europe!
Or am I the only one failing to see where two European countries can find a
reason to war?

It has less value, primarily because it was applied in the first place (a
victim of it's own success).  Everything is going along great for the
moment, but just wait until those British Soccer Hooligans start another of
their chevauchees.  :-)

Not even that is a problem anymore: the British authorities have tacitly
granted continental polices the permission to act "firmly" against British
hooligans. And yes, that's a euphemism - the Slovaks took it to the last
consequences not long ago.

As a sidenote (and I have some first hand experience with this), the
hooligans would not behave like they do IF they knew wine in the continent
is frequently *twice* as alcoholic as the beer they drink in their island... :-P

and for our own sakes, its best we keep an
eye on things (though Europeans have been doing better of late, with the
exception of the Balkans which seems to be trying to live up to its billing
as the powderkeg of Europe).

Yup, those countries will take a lot of effort to "get along". Anyway, who
said European Unity was a piece of cake? :-/

Alas, it never is, Europe or anywhere else.

It never *was*, you mean. It's the first time a Union is being achieved
without costly wars - there is no term of comparison in History.

Make up your mind: it's a piece of cake or it isn't.  :-)

It's not a piece of cake; that's why it is "being achieved" and has not
"happened" yet :-)

People everywhere should be suspicious of anyone telling them they need to
die for their country/cause/pogrom/divine rights of kings/etc.

Like Dave K. said in another post, WW2 was (or turned out to be) a struggle
for the sake of Justice (I'd risk using the word Humanity). I would not have
a problem fighting such a war - my pacifism ends in sight of utter madness.

The whole thing just stinks of vendetta this side of the Atlantic...

On both sides of the Atlantic.

Yeah, I had forgotten Brazil ;-)

Yeah, but more of them didn't vote against Bush than did.  That happened
here.  :-)

Perhaps massive ressetlements of Democrat voters throughout the States (1)
could force a change for the next election - there's still time! :-P

Pedro

(1) - ya know, moving from Democrat strongholds to marginally Republican
areas; it should be enough to level things up in the Electoral College. So,
in more than one way, "you can make a difference" :-)