 Off-Topic / Debate / 18856
Re: Leaks (was Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 13:21:02 GMT

Lar wrote:

What I (and so many others) could read into this is--

America wants the war over and above any way of obtaining a peaceful >resolution.

Seriously, are you really that obtuse?  Do you really think the US *wants*
war??? We want 1) prove that Iraq has been disarmed of WOMD, and 2) Saddam
deposed.  That's *all*.  Unfortunately, it will probably take war to accomplish
that.

They don't want to give the inspectors more time

<wringing hands> More time for what???  They are there to observe the proof
shown to them that Iraq has indeed destroyed their chemical and biological
weapons.  If there is nothing to show them (in the case where Iraq has indeed
*not* disarmed), what exactly are they supposed to do, and for how long?

They don't want to give the inspectors info that'll help the inspectors find
and eliminate WoMD, so we can 'find a smoking gun' therefore opening the
door to invasion.

Hello??  It has been pointed out to you *repeatedly* that it is not the job of
the inspectors *to find and eliminate WOMD*, but to verify through proof shown
to them by Iraq that Iraq has disarmed *itself*.

Apparently the US needs to rub the world's nose in it over and over before
certain apologists admit the truth. The UN is worthless. The leadership of
France and Germany are apparently also worthless. This just proves it yet
again.

Sad, but dead on.

Some may think the UN is worthless--I was once told to hold a dollar bill in
my hand--what makes it worth a dollar?  It's not gold--it's just a piece of
paper.  One time in 'ancient history' the bill was directly equated to gold,
but now it's a collective agreement, a collective support, that makes the
dollar worth one buck.

In the UN's case, it is a buck from the game "Monopoly";-)

The UN will have power if we support the UN, if we support their authority.

News flash:  The United States will NEVER abdicate her sovereign rights to
*anyone* or *anything*, including the sham AKA the UN.

I'd rather have a *United* agreement on what to do than to have *one*
country unilaterally drag the rest of the world into a conflict that could
have been resolved peacably.

You are deliberately repeating boldfaced lies.  The US *IS NOT* acting
unilaterally, but has the support of many countries (including Denmark:-) and
always has.

But please feel free at any time to provide your peaceful resolution plan.
Short of Saddam willingly imposing self-exile, there is no peaceful solution.
Why is that concept so hard for Liberals to understand?  Sometimes you have to
*fight* for freedom, it's just as simple as that.  The sorry truth is that not
all situations can be resolved peacefully.

Furthermore, since I'm on a rant, whilst the inspectors are doing their job
they are interfering with whatever ulterior plans that Saddam may have.
While the inspectors are going from one side of the country to another, and
in doing so, these locations of production are being set up and torn down,
that will slow them down.  Now if there's a war, Saddam can do whatever he
pleases under *no* scrutiny.  Again, me thinks that peace will be a better
outcome for all involved.

You don't know what you're talking about.  When the war comes, Saddam will be
lucky indeed if he even survives.  But I doubt that he is that lucky...

But a country that throws out Kioto,

Kyoto was laughable, but that's another thread.

ideas about international Courts,

(See the News Flash above)

and
other things, and yet holds up some piece of paper written in 1776 as a
higher authority when today in their very streets people are dieing because
of it... then I quite understand the narrow scope of judgement that
Americans hold.

That piece of paper says that all men are created equal, and are endowed with
inalienable rights, and we base our government upon those ideals.  Calling the
DoI, arguably one of the most influential documents ever written, "some piece
of paper" displays to me a rather narrow scope of judgment....

JOHN