 Off-Topic / Debate / 18847
18846  |  18848
Subject:
Leaks (was Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 00:42:42 GMT

You really mean give it to the UN so they can leak it...

Leak it to the inspectors, yes.

Leak it to the general media, prob'ly not.

Neither. Leak it to the Iraqis.

Like I said, it's leaked. The US decided to present it anyway.

From commentary on today's presentation by Powell:
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-nichols020503.asp

" ... it's true that there was no single moment like that (Adlai Stevenson
smoking gun): rather, there were several of them.

Iraqi commanders discussing the need to hide things from the inspectors.
Orders to stop using the words "nerve agent." Photographs of chemical
weapons being moved practically out from under the U.N.'s nose. Bulldozing a
site — removing the "crust of the earth" itself, as Powell pointed out — to
hide any possible trace of forbidden toxins. Corroborated information from
al Qaeda detainees. A litany of stories from defectors detailing the
existence of mobile-weapons factories. And proof that somehow, the Iraqis
are being tipped off to inspections, exposing the whole sad business as the
farce it always was."

Complete transcript from the State Department website:

http://usinfo.state.gov/cgi-bin/washfile/display.pl?p=/products/washfile/latest&f=03020544.tlt&t=/products/washfile/newsitem.shtml

So then, we have a dichotomy:

EITHER

- the evidence presented is real, and the inescapable conclusion is that
Iraq has no intention of disarming and is clear and flagrant violation of
all the numerous UN resolutions since well before it invaded Kuwait.

OR

- the evidence presented isn't real, it's faked, or misconstrued and Powell
either is a dupe or is in on the whole charade too, and maybe Iraq is
cheating and maybe it isn't.

The latter (minus the "maybe they're cheating" part) is what the Iraqis are
claiming... Reading some of your posts, and Duq's and others, it's what
you're apparently claiming too. I'm not a big fan of my government. I know
they fake stuff all the time. But this time I believe them rather than the
Iraqis.

The inspections are a sham and a waste of time and are not going to
accomplish anything other than dragging this out interminably if allowed to
proceed.

But should we go to war over it, here and now? Na....

Me, I'm rooting for this entire escapade to completely destroy whatever
shreds of credibility the UN has left. It's going pretty good so far.