 Off-Topic / Debate / 18785
Re: Value of NATO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:21:46 GMT

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=540&e=3&u=/ap/20030129/ap_on_re_mi_ea/nato_iraq

Apparently, if I'm reading the story right, NATO planners don't want to
discuss what to do if Iraq attacks Turkey.

That strikes me as imprudent. Whether you think a war with Iraq is justified
or not or whether NATO should participate or not (1), it seems to me that
Turkey is a NATO member and ought to be entitled to help if it's attacked.
Isn't that the point of the whole alliance, to defend each other?

If that attack is in self-defence as result of illegal attacks launched from US
bases inside Turkey, then I don't see why they should?

If the attack is an unprovoked attack by Iraq, then a NATO level response is
justified.

I expect the chances of Iraq launching an attack on Turkey which would require
a NATO level response is slim.

It's one thing for France and Germany to say they won't help prosecute a war>

I heard on the Radio this morning that, despite their rumblings, Germany will
allow overflight rights.

(and I'm hopeful that will be enough to dampen down some of the saber
rattling going on lately) but it's quite another for NATO to welsh on
obligations for defense against attack.

Those damn Welsh are to blame again. It’s all those leeks and daffodils they
eat!

Scott A

That's way different than prosecute,
isn't it?