 Off-Topic / Debate / 18735
Re: Pepsi, Coke or Mecca?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:38:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> writes:

That's fighting talk! North of the border, we don't really drink
the "bitter" the southern softies drink

It seems I have forgotten the Scottish beer nomenclature...

[although I did have a pint of Tetley’s last night].

Tee-hee.

The equivalents are things like 70/- [pronounced 70 Shilling and
aka "Special"] 80/- [aka "Heavy"] and, more recently, Deuchars
IPA. IPA is what real men drink [I'm rather biased on this issue].

This rings a bell...  I certainly remember the Deuchars IPA.  That was
one of our favourites, and the number one item to bring home.  (Due to
tax regulations, though, we could only export two liters per person.)
Incidentally, we did find a few bottles of IPA in London one year
later, so it appears to be fairly popular.

BTW, is the Caledonian brewery still an independent brewery?  I think
I remember something to the effect that it was the only independent
brewery left in Edinburgh.

I'm pretty sure it is.

Along the road [less than a mile] from the Caledonian brewery is a
pub [bar] called the Athletic Arms [it is know locally as "diggers"
as it used to be frequented by grave diggers from a nearby
cemetery]. Did you make it there?

No, we didn't.  Although we did stay just next to the Caledonian
Brewery,

How did you find the air in fountain bridge?

our host was not a beer fan at all, hence we tended to visit
sort of entry level pubs.  Is the diggers on the way into the city
centre from the Caledonian, or the other way?

Yes, just along from the Cale’ Sample Rooms.

In the former case, we
must certainly have passed it, as we did walk to the city and back on
some occations.  (In the latter case, we were generally singing loudly
in Norwegian as we walked.)

;)

Diggers is a good bar, but not worth making a huge effort for. More of a
curiosity really. Pubs worth looking out for next time are:

1. Bow Bar [just off Grassmarket] - good beer.
2. Milnes [Rose St] - a Toursit trap, but still good.
3. Bennets [Tollcross] - Good beer.
4. The Canny Mans [Morningside] - a real curiosity

Scott A