 Off-Topic / Debate / 18728
Re: Pepsi, Coke or Mecca?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:31:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> writes:

  The Scottish No 1 is a bright orange drink called "Irn Bru":

Hm, I can't recall seeing that one when I visited Edinburgh.  But then
again, I was more interested in the bitters and lagers during those
visits!  I did have a chance to taste some variants during a sort of
"open day" in the Caledonian brewery.  That was rather nice.

Fredrik,
That's fighting talk! North of the border, we don't really drink the "bitter"
the southern softies drink [although I did have a pint of Tetley’s last night].
The equivalents are things like 70/- [pronounced 70 Shilling and aka "Special"]
80/- [aka "Heavy"] and, more recently, Deuchars IPA. IPA is what real men drink
[I'm rather biased on this issue].

Along the road [less than a mile] from the Caledonian brewery is a pub [bar]
called the Athletic Arms [it is know locally as "diggers" as it used to be
frequented by grave diggers from a nearby cemetery]. Did you make it there? If
not, try it next time:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A810820

I may even buy you a beer…;)

Scott A