 Off-Topic / Debate / 18765
18764  |  18766
Subject:
So here's a light question....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:30:37 GMT

Why is it that the shows I really like get cancelled?

I loved 'Sports Night'--gone after 2 seasons.

''KRP'?  Like the wind...

And now 'Firefly'.  Grr!!!

At least Babylon 5 eeked out the 5 seasons that jms wanted, and MASH got its 11.

But it seems as if these TV execs have a very short attention span and are
not in it for the 'long run', like TV used to be.

For example, Cheers and Night Court were both shows that did very poorly in
the ratings for the first few seasons, yet alone episodes.  Seinfeld was
virtually unheard of during its first season.

But no, the execs at Fox, in their infinite wisdom, cancelled Firefly after
10 eps. (I know I'm not including the pilot--they just aired that as
filler--wasn't part of the regular sched.)

Gene Roddenberry teach you execs anything?  JMS?  Sci fi takes a while to
get established, then becomes part of the 'history' of television--Firefly
didn't get a chance to catch on.

Stick with stuff that works--Firefly worked.

Well, 'nuff ranting for one day--At least I saw the show.

Dave K