 Off-Topic / Debate / *11931 (-100)
  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Fwoosh - that's way too much to wade through. I found another site that condensed it more to the essentials. 10 states prohibit the sale of fully-automatic weapons (machine-guns) entirely. The rest may or may not have some retrictions, and (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: *Child* Handgun Death Rate

(...) Please note that I was specifically _not_ interested in the gun related deaths as seperate from other murders. Violent deaths is what I'm interested in, not the weapon of choice. Chris (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) I don't know what their process is like, but I think that long arms must be allowed because it seems they have a plague of dangerous foxes that must be wiped out at all costs. If I understand the deal, you just can't have handguns. Chris (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) position. You're raving. The Weavers didn't hold off the agents for any real time, and at Mt.Carmel, they didn't storm the Branch Davidians because they didn't want to die. If your logic were correct, then why did they decide to assault the (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) I'm interested in what requirments must be met before I could buy a firearm in your country. (hypothetically speaking) Let alone what I would have to do to "properly" store such a weapon. This also does not take into account the fact that the (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) I forget - I think it's illegal. Or was (I noted a more up to date response on the laws a few messages back). Bruce (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Not the details, but the general idea. (...) Probably not. But I'm not sure that it is a significant difference in the context of protection of freedoms. It is certainly significant from the POV of the potential politician. (...) I just don't (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) You must have a heart of stone Chris. Scott A (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) So? Chris (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: *Child* Handgun Death Rate

(...) I expect I am correct~ish. Child deaths are rare enough (thankfully) to normally be national news in the UK. I child that was killed buy a gun would be news without a doubt. The last one I can remember was a teenager shot as a burglar 3 or 4 (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) There are rules are regulations which must be met before a gun can be owned. 100% of those wanting to own a gun have there storage provision checked. A medical certificate is also required. Once one has a gun, I am not sure what checks are (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) The police could not move in on Randy whats-his-name for weeks/months as there were children were there - that is why they held off. Likewise with Waco, if no children were there, I think the "Feds" would have moved much sooner. Just like (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Don't be shocked Larry, just read your own words: "Ignore it, interpret it in direct conflict with what the founders intended(1)?" Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Why. Because the gun lobby is too strong? Because the gun lobby pays too much money to your politicians? (...) You are a slave to your intransigent views! :) Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Oops Do you think they could conceive how powerful democracy would become. How everyone (more or less) would be able to vote? Or do you think they had events like the French revolution in mind? Scott A (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) From a UK perspective, I see nothing wrong with laws slowly changing to mirror changes in society. In the US it would be very hard to ban guns overnight. They way to remove the risk caused by guns to Joe Public is to slowly tighten access to (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Do you think they really could understand how it could work out? How modern media makes politicians almost instantly accountable? How in transparent systems, like the UK, those funding politicians would be dragged out into the open? You will (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Perhaps they are only being honest with themselves. They are far more likely to use their gun in self-defence against a perceived criminal than they are to use it against state tyranny. I expect most guns are bought in the US as a fashion (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) What is yours? (...) Oh. I see. (...) Does that make it OK? What does that have to do with your point? (...) It is still far too high in my opinion. (...) Not quite, but I will let it ride. (...) Read what Chris said. Read my reply. Think (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) You can negotiate tight situations, like twisty narrow hallways better with such a weapon. Why not? Chris (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Not at all, and this has never been so. (I would point that even if inferior 'laws' stated that, they would be negated by the constitution, but that's not really my point at this time.) (...) said. (...) See (URL) for the details. Chris (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) It's exactly the same. And there are Americans who feel both of those sentiments. That's one of the things that makes/made us strong. Chris (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

(...) The solution that I would like to see for the US is undistricting. If we were electing the top n representitives instead of the top one from n districts, then small parties would get at least some representation. When that happened, I expect (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment

(...) "make trouble"? Were they stealing cars? Were they breaking into shops? What was this "trouble"? (...) In the UK it would be called harrasment. (...) Perhaps not. (...) I have no probelm with that site. (...) The issue is bigger than the dam. (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) "Permits" doe not equal causes. (...) I am amazed that Israel is in this list. My perceptions of the country are the exact opposite. Even today, more murders were in the news: (URL) understand that one of those murdered was a baby. (...) I (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Why? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

(...) Larry, What you do is cut-and-paste LP dogma repeatedly in an effort to incite a noisy debate. When you do it, you are unwilling to justify what you post. My most recent action aside, if people are unhappy with me justifying any point I make (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

(...) What is you proposed solution on this? Smaller parties in the UK back PR as they hope it will benefit them? Is that on the agenda in the USA? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) I assume the resultant gun is then illegal? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) This is an interesting point, but I think it can be avoided if it is a Federal test, not a state or other local test. Since the test should be done in conjunction with the training course, there shouldn't be a problem: if it ain't in the (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) Well, mine was a somewhat rhetorical question, though not obviously so. However, he (Tom, I apologize for addressing you in 3rd person this way, but we're working with our interpretations of your post, rather than your input--please feel free (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

(...) Further, the system has been deliberately skewed (on many levels) to ensure that the current two parties are virtually unseatable, so the hope for real change at the ballot box is slim. Fortunately, the two parties we are stuck with tend to (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

(...) isn't, in your view? Or is it that you can post stuff in response but not initiate via posting, in your view? (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Drugs and guns

(...) While the health problems may be relatively inexpensive (though I don't believe it to be so), the heath costs are, I think, considerably smaller than the longterm impact upon productivity. Opponents might point to tobacco, caffeine, and (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

(...) I don't. The people for whom I vote, lose. What can I do? I am completely at the mercy of the majority. (...) How do you define this, and what makes you think so? Chris (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

(...) Who mentioned a "campaign"? (...) I think you are wrong. I think the movie could be viewed as parody of the kind of situation which we see in the movies which feed gun culture. I think the target audience of the two may be similar. Do you (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

(...) No-one's stopping you. You posted it, I said what I thought of it. I don't think that showing the result of someone else's opinions adds much to the debate. If you wholeheartedly back that campaign, then what are it's aims and means? That (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

(...) Sorry, I did not realise you were policing this "debate". Perhaps you should give an outline of the type of response you do want? I have no problem with anyone posting links to just about any view they wish. I still view the link as fun way of (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

(...) Erm. 'Fun'? No, that's childish 95% fact-free propaganda. You're just inviting links to this sort of stuff from all sides. I'd rather not see links to similarly insulting propaganda from the NRA* posted here, so I'd rather not see that brought (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

Some related fun: (URL) A (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)

(...) I'm amazed by this lack of trust in the authorities. In the UK, we elect people to office. If they do a lousy job, we elect someone else next time. The constant threat of losing their job generally makes them listen to the populace during (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pledge (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) Call me wacky, but I'm sort of OK with reciting the pledge, once you're old enough to know what you're committing to, and with the proviso that you can leave the godstuff out. I like the US. Even with all the injustice and repression and (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) No *perhaps* about it. He's a twit (1) and I'm a sucker for his trolling. 1 - not always!!! Just when he wants to be, which is a good part, but not all, of the time. ++Lar (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:GGq2pA.GDv@lugnet.com... (...) American flag is (...) little of (...) to do so. (...) across (...) curtail (...) And <snip> (...) No, Tom states that he thinks does not agree with people who (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pledge (was Re: Flag Burning)

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message news:GGqFsC.CvJ@lugnet.com... (...) removed from (...) think that's (...) trivial (...) a kid in (...) and I kept (...) get in a (...) superstition. (...) significant (...) the pledge (...) (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GGqtL6.25y@lugnet.com... (...) owner needs (...) nothing ever is. (...) powerful (...) aposteriori (...) nonetheless, (...) white could (...) could (...) except (...) somewhere (and (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) It's been awhile, but I caught this, and I just have to respond...: Itching, let me tell you, is a complex thing. I've had skin problems from before I was one year old. Scratching the itch, indeed, relieves anxiety for a short period. But (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) I support the notion that people ought to be competent users of any powerful tool, especially one as powerful as a gun. However... My objection to an apriori training requirement (rather than an aposteriori lawsuit for negligent behaviour) is (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Or shot more innocents. If the number of handguns were thinned out, it would be less likely Joe Blow would need his handgun. There is also the increased number of wackos carrying handguns to contend with ("Hey, you cut me off, well I'll show (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

I'm going to address a few selective points here, please excuse me - tonight is my 9th wedding anniversary - goin out for a nice dinner. (...) That is very true. An armed and highly visible guard would have affected his decision, but I would contend (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Drugs and guns

(...) Very concise! Y'all can talk about these issues until everyone is blue in the face (or at least blue in the typing fingers...) but in the United States we have de facto guns and drugs in the hands of anyone wanting them. Yes, we have laws and (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Educational theory and what we "know" (was: Porn for sex education)

I kind of neglected part of this before. (...) "With all [my] eduction," I can reject lots of well regarded psychological theories. In fact, I have to since many of them are contradictory. There are thousands of people who have spent their academic (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Drugs and guns

(...) And it's pretty closely related to two other gems: the use of conspiracy laws beyond cases involving treason (previously providing the only use of conspiracy laws), and the use of testimony bought with bargained for punishment agreements. (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pledge (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) kind (...) What I really mean is that I think the God phrase is a relatively trivial point. I was raised as an athiest. I refused to say the pledge as a kid in school because of the God thing. It caused me all kinds of hassle, and I kept a (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Drugs and guns

(...) :-) (...) The smiley was meant (though obviously unsuccessfully) to point to my silly irony and indicate that such a result would _not_ be the best possible outcome. But I do think that it would be the outcome of a gun ban in the US. And I (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Drugs and guns

(...) I was replying in kind. Take it as you please, but I wasn't the first. My point was that it's a bad analogy because even with narcotic/alcohol prohibition, the first thing the criminals do is arm themselves. (...) Ah - a smiley. Hmm. Why am I (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Pledge (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) I wouldn't call a religious based argument dumb and petty (even if it is being asked for on nonreligious grounds, i.e. separation of church and state, or "what about the atheists?"), it might get a whole new thread going ;-) Oops, too late. (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) This is certainly a valid point, and close to home since a co-worker in the next building over from mine had his son involved in this very incident (thankfully unharmed). But it was the presense of armed guards, not Joe Blow with a concealed (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) Are you saying, in essence (in this thread, and, like all of us, across many other threads), that you want to preserve, for example, your Constitutionally-enumerated right to bear arms, but you want to curtail someone else's (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) That's a *fantastic* summation. I read the various Chronicles in my early twenties, but when I tried to reread them a few years later I couldn't do it. One of Donaldson's greatests strengths is an obvious love of the language, coupled with a (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Drugs and guns

(...) RICO. I think it is "Racketeering Influenced Corrupt Organizations" or something close to that. It's a great little law if you also like civil forfeiture... (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Drugs and guns

I don't post much here, but I'd like to say that the criminal will always find a way to obtain firearms, regardless if the society in which he lives has banned them. As for banning firarms themselves? We must remember that one of Adolf Hitler's (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) As I understand it, that is a fairly typical experience. (...) I think that some people want it gone for that reason, but I think that's kind of dumb and petty. The real reason to be done with it is that requiring any kind of pledge of (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) I remember saying the pledge of allegiance up until about the fifth grade. After that, I remember only reciting it rarely. It could have been the switch in schools, or a regional thing. I'm not sure. If I am remembering correctly, the ACLU was (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) How unconstitutional that would be. -) (...) If you still thought you were right, and the state allowed criticism, another option could be to stay and try to persuade others your view for correct. After all, if you were to flee, you would (I (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Sure, but in the mean time you'd be supporting evil. Some people seem to find that unacceptable. The best short term option would be to stay, breaking the law, and look for ways to change the system or better places to go. (...) That's the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Drugs and guns

(...) I don't think it was humor. I think he was being snotty. (...) Only if you consider a national bloodbath and endless guerilla war "bad." :-) (...) Ayup! And you know why we won't end the war on drugs? Because the police support it. You know (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) Yes. We are specifically and knowingly indoctrinating (brainwashing) a sense of nationalism in our children. I find it reprehensible and occasionally write to the ACLU urging them to tackle the problem. I would like the see (at least) the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) If you still thought you were right, and the state allowed criticism, another option could be to stay and try to persuade others your view for correct. But where would you go if you were to leave the USA in the manner you describe above, which (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) The below is a good question but does not address the question I raised above... (...) This is a good question... it gets to the root of, does one accept unconditional majority rule? The constitution is a fundamental document, superior (in the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

So what IS your point then? My point is that there are more dangerous things than guns. If I am not mistaken, one of the statistics sited here directly showed that most gun deaths are actually suicides...and that the percentage of child deaths is (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Drugs and guns

Hmm...I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic directly with me or if you were merely adding more humor... If, perchance, you missed my meaning here, purhaps I can clear it up a bit... Making guns illegal will only make things worse. Narcotics were (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) I feel the same way. Although, I think this varies drastically from country-to-country. I was working in Northern Denmark a few years ago, and I was amazed at how many houses had the Danish flag flying (I estimate 10-20%!). If I were to do (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) Maybe it is just a cultural thing... if I saw a Scot burning a St Andrew's Cross I'd think he was either a bit on the daft side and/or had more money than sense, shrug my shoulders and walk on. Were I a seller of St Andrew's Cross flags I'd be (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) But the fundamental question is, if something contrary to your personal view is chosen at the end of the legal process by a majority decision, would you abide by it? If it meant giving up your unconditional requirement to arm yourself, would (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)

I have to put in my vote for David Weber for Military SF. -- Overkill is the only sure kill. SR "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GGp2GL.4q8@lugnet.com... (...) hoped (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

"Jason J. Railton" <j.j.railton@cwcom.net> wrote in message news:GGo98I.DA5@lugnet.com... <snip> (...) sue) toy (...) with video (...) hold of (...) firearm, so (...) 'sporting (...) I am worried about what is in the 'sporting goods' section. There (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) "That so-and-so understands the constitution better than you do and therefore would make a better Member of Congress ??? ":-) Ya, that sort of posturing makes me ill. Kind of like the guys who rail against pork but are first at the trough for (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) Right, whereas I thought he just pulled out the ending without giving any hint that it was going to play out that way. I don't want to spoil too much so won't be more specific. (...) I'm of the opposite view, I see _Fire_ as his best by far. (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) I support clarifying the meaning. Maybe the best way is to compose several alternative replacements that have different meanings (but all of which are clear in *what* they mean) and see which one survives the process. I'd actively work to (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) You're right, I did miss most of the thread. A thousand pardons Sahib! But I did see that comment by Chris. I was reacting to the word carnage in my comments above. Although, I do think the world would be safer if more responsible citizens (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Would you support a rewording that was in opposition to your interpretation of the amendment and to your interpretation of the original authors' intent? (Assuming, of course, that any rewording was accomplished through legal and proper (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Well, for one thing, "commerce" included the sale of human beings, so while "commerce" still meant "trade in goods and/or services," the application of that word was materially different. Similarly, "interstate" transactions completed today in (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) Agreed. Moreover, superfluous legislation of this sort serves only to provide members of Congress with public relations fodder, a la "I voted to protect Our Nation's Flag, so-and-so did not--what does that tell you?" I concur with you and (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) Hmm. I didn't see that. I thought that he did a good job of plausibly giving Pham appropriate advantages in order to allow him to cleverly win. Actually, I think it was his best work yet. Because Star Wars was so much better than what had come (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) Um, she'd be a mistress. :-) <GD&R> ... actually I understand that Vernor made an honest woman(1) of her for some while but they parted friends. 1 - you know, that phrase just bugs me, it seems wrong somehow. Seems to devalue love for (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) He's surely up there. However his latest wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped (it seemed to end rather implausibly after a setup for apparent invincibility by the villians). Here's hoping we never have an Emergency here. (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) It's a rare talent... fortunately. Some authors are born to mediocrity, some acquire it in old age, and some have it thrust upon them (1). Fortunately a few lose it, too. 1 - success sometimes seems to do this... I like Orson Scott Card a LOT (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) Did you mean "he" my friend, or "he" the author? Either way, you were right, except that this particular friend was a woman. (...) I think I finished the first two books and had to politely excuse myself from the series when Beth tried to (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Helmet DAT file

Guys I like to mind my own business but I have to say something. I, like you Eric, am not taking sides. I have to say Nick I felt your anger when I read Mladen's response to a very simple question. You saw that there was a relation with the mecha (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) I've never actually read much MZB that wasn't a short story, and I've never had strong feelings about her one way or the other. I haven't read any Darkover, because I hate coming into the middle of a story or setting, and I've never had (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) I read all the Darkover books as a kid. My tastes have refined considerably since then and when I tried to read a more recent one as a young adult (19-21 or so) I just couldn't do it. It was disappointing. (...) I think the key here is (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment

(...) (URL) (...) the (...) whole (...) the (...) popular (...) which (...) clearly (...) place (...) is (...) or (...) ask for their papers, and went back when they refused to show. I can't see any problem here. Maybe you just can't imagine in your (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)

(...) <snip> (...) Terry Brooks should stop pretending to write good fiction, acknowledge that he writes marginal formula at best, and run with it. I don't mind some of his stuff, I just hate that some people are fooled into thinking it's quality (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) I knew I shouldn't have mentioned that. I haven't read any of her other books but I knew she was noted for writing things from "a women's perspective". Which I don't have a problem with - at least normally. The book starts interestingly enough (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

And before the zealots start screaming, note that Larry stated libertarianism (SMALL l) is on the rise, not Libertarianism. Big difference, as has been noted before. (...) -- | Tom Stangl, iPlanet Web Server Technical Support | Netscape (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) Tell me more?? I know there are a number of people that like her work but I found it, well, not that accessible and not that engaging. (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flag Burning

(...) I don't think things have got quite to the point of needing to burn the flag just yet. I see it as such a disrespectful statement that it's only one small step from armed rebellion. The excesses and oppressions of our government haven't yet (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks writes: <<We are all a part of the militia and to be so without weaponry is foolish and irresponsible. Americans have not only a right to bear arms, but in my opinion a responsibility so that they are (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Well, you won't catch me defending the later politics of one A. Hamilton, but we also have Madison's Notes on the Convention, don't we? (URL) you can find The Federalist at: (URL) Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact