 Off-Topic / Debate / 11861
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 13:10:12 GMT

So what IS your point then?

My point is that there are more dangerous things than guns.  If I am not
mistaken, one of the statistics sited here directly showed that most gun
deaths are actually suicides...and that the percentage of child deaths is
miniscule.

You mention warplanes and bombs and bioweapons...

Ghengis Khan flung plague-ridden bodies into walled cities...U.S. soldiers
gave disese-ridden blankets to native american tribes...these are bioweapons.

The colonial armies had cannons...yes...no?

what is the point you are trying to make?  are you against war in general,
weapons of mass destruction, violence?  What is your suggestion to prevent
these things?

Personally, I am being very careful not to include my own belief on this
topic, just a rationality that can argue against the banning of guns from
the public...there are more dangerous and lethal luxuries than guns in our
society such as automobiles.  How is this trivializing the point?

Nope. You are trivialising the issue rather than addressing the point. "The
forefathers" could not comprehend what weapons would do in a few hundred
years time (ie today). What do you think handguns will be like a few hundred
years from now?

They could comprehend that the same ordnance _must_ be available to both the
military and the civilians.

Even tanks? Even fighter jets? Even chemical weapons? Even ICBM's?

Scott A

Chris