 Off-Topic / Debate / 11849
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:24:39 GMT

This is another example in which it's useful to recall the context of the
18th century vs. the context of today.  "Interstate" and "commerce" had
strikingly different meanings back then, I suspect, or at least strikingly
different applications.

Do tell... I'm rather at a loss on how there is a difference in the meanings
of such fundamental terms.

  Well, for one thing, "commerce" included the sale of human beings, so
while "commerce" still meant "trade in goods and/or services," the
application of that word was materially different.  Similarly, "interstate"
transactions completed today in mere moments might have taken days or weeks
to accomplish back then, so in that case the question of immediacy is at
issue.  Obviously, the definition of "between states" remains largely
unchanged, but the impact and nature of such dealings has changed
fundamentally, even if the word itself has not.  That's what I mean when I
refer to the context of certain words in the 18th century as opposed to the
21st.

I recommend [the Federalist Papers] to all critical thinkers who want to have
a more informed debate, and have done so in the past when we have gotten
into "what did the founders intend" sorts of questions which are always hard
to deal with.

  I haven't read them in years, and I have (I hope) developed better
critical skills since then.  I'll give them a look-see.

     Dave!