 Off-Topic / Debate / 11886
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 04:33:39 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:GGqtL6.25y@lugnet.com...

I'm sorry, perhaps I should be more specific: the would-be gun • owner needs
to PASS a strict test in addition.  No, it won't be perfect - • nothing ever is.

I support the notion that people ought to be competent users of any • powerful
tool, especially one as powerful as a gun. However...

My objection to an apriori training requirement (rather than an • aposteriori
lawsuit for negligent behaviour) is a weak one, but it exists • nonetheless,
and is this.

We have the lesson in our recent past of literacy tests that any • white could
pass but even a college grad in english lit who happened to be black • could
not. Similarly, I fear the unscrupulous opponents of guns within the
government would use this mechanism to keep all from owning, or all • except
their cronies.

As an illustration of this I offer the factoid which I heard • somewhere (and
which may be false but I tend to doubt it) that says that machine • guns are
not outlawed per se, they just have been taxed (by the BATF, as it • happens)
to the point that civilians can no longer acquire new ones. This • passed
constitutional muster where banning them outright did not. (which • shows how
critical the need for clarity in parts of the constitution is)

With Fully Automatic firearms and other Class III weapons (Silenced
weapons and sawed-off shotguns) are legal to own.  The only caveat is
that when purchasing said weapon one must apply for a Class III tax
stamp.  Said stamp costs $200.  You submit all of the appropriate
paperwork, to the BATF I believe, wait about 90 days, pay the $200 and
if everything goes right you will get an actual stamp (just like a
postage stamp) from the BATF for that single weapon and can then go
and pick said weapon up from the dealer.  You must do this and pay
$200 for each Class III firearm you are purchasing and I believe the
dealer must also have a special Class III  Dealer License.  You must
also go through the same process to modify any of your own weapons to
Class III status.

I have not yet gone through this myself, so I could have left
something out.  I will be in a couple of months when I have the stock
and barrel reduced by a gunsmith on my Double Barreled 12 gauge.

--
Overkill is the only sure kill.

SR