 Off-Topic / Debate / 11885
Re: Nothing personal, but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:32:58 GMT

I reject the notion that there is no difference between the person who asks
silly questions and the person who just can't resist scratching the
unscratchable itch. (Duane H. and I had a very fruitful conversation about
that notion a week or so back in regard to our friend the spoofer...)

It's been awhile, but I caught this, and I just have to respond...:

Itching, let me tell you, is a complex thing. I've had skin problems from
before I was one year old. Scratching the itch, indeed, relieves anxiety for
a short period. But resisting the urge and *ignoring it* causes the itch to
go away. If I itch my skin, I know, I am as much at fault as my allergies
for making it itch. It took my years, and I am still mastering it, but it
does a world of good to ignore the itch, or to stop scratching once you
caught yourself doing it unconciously. Scratching only makes the skin more
irritated and it later comes back and itches and hurts even more.

In that sense, you are analyzing your fights with Scott perfectly. *Perhaps*
he is the one initializing (I said *perhaps!!*), but even so, you gotta
learn to resist it. It'll take you a while, I'm sure, and every once in a
while you'll reply to some "itch" or other of his. But if you try to catch
yourself - see if it doesn't help. Start today. Just stop scratching, think
about something else. Give it a shot. Just try.

-Shiri (self-proclaimed itchologist)