 Off-Topic / Debate / 11189
Re: Child rearing (was: Nothing personal, but...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:47:44 GMT

From a simply pragmatic standpoint, I never saw the "no supper" punishment
as that effective, including those few occasions when I was subject to it.
It was too vague a punishment to have any lasting effect, even in terms of
negative reinforcement.

First off, quick comment. Negative reinforcement is the wrong term here -
negative reinforcement refers to the removal of a bad effect, in response to
a good action. Negative reinforcement receives the *same* effect as positive
reinforcement, not the opposite. Psych 101, guys. You're talking about a
punishment.

Punishment doesn't teach what the punisher normally expects.  It merely >teaches the recipient to avoid being caught.  It also creates a divide >between the authority and the punished, rather than bringing them together >team-wise.

That's true, but there's a limit to that. At some point you just *can't* let
a kid not have any bad effect to his wrong actions. When a kid crosses that
line, I think it is well and fair to give him/her a strict disciplinary
action. I would say "no TV for the day" or something of the sort; and in
very extreme cases, I would even smack them (not too hard, not enough to
leave an impression on the behind, but enough to leave an impression on the
mind). As a kid I received the smack, once in a long time. I was slapped on
the cheek *once*, when I hit my mother at the age of 12, and believe me, it
only hurt for a little bit, but it left a very strong don't-cross-that-line
impression. Now I think my mother was extremely justified, even though at
the time I was really upset.

However, I absolutely don't buy into the thinking that very young children
can formulate complex reasoning about right and wrong when it comes to
abstract matters

But I didn't say they could.  And punishing them doesn't make them do so >either (since we both agree that they can't).  Why not just work with their
limitations by not expecting the impossible?

I don't think Dave *is* expecting the impossible. He is simply realizing (if
I read him correctly) that a punishment leaves a certain impression on a
child that no discussion can. And I think he's right, when the punishment is
not abused, overused, or unenforced. However, positive (*or* negative)
reinforcement is a lot more effective than punishment, and should be used
more often. (No, I don't mean constant bribing, I mean giving the child
encouragement with words, expressing pride in them, or maybe on occasion
promising a reward if the child shows real effort towards the goal the
parent wants them to acheive. (1))

not feasible simply to explain the situation to the child without forming
some tangible negative (not necessarily physical) association with the "bad"
behavior.

The universe has it's own way of handling 'negative' behavior.  If a child >does stuff that pisses you off, then the child has to deal with a pissed off >person.  Just like I do, if I piss you off.  Why does a child need some kind >of artificial extra consequence above and beyond what we all get?

I don't think I'm following your train of thought here. What're you getting at?

The child may be made to realize briefly that coloring on
the wall with crayon is objectionable, but that won't stop the child from
doing it again in the future.

And you think that some kind of artificial consequence will?  And even if it
will, what is the cost in terms of relationship and personal autonomy?  In
ability to decide for itself?

But perhaps a fair warning a few times, and offering alternative options
("here, draw on this paper taped to the wall"), and then if the action
repeats, *then* giving an appropriately sized punishment... that would be
much more effective. I wouldn't ground a child for a week for drawing on the
freakin wall... ;-)

-Shiri

(1) This treatment was pretty effective on my parents' side, IMO. When I was
little, I had to get shots and blood tests often, and every time I would be
"brave" (not wiggle around, sit quietly while getting the shot) I'd get a
big kiss and hug, nice encouraging words, and maybe a small treat at the
cafeteria, etc. Once, after a series of many shots, I got a big present,
too. It didn't result in me becoming a total spoiled brat... I think. ;-)
Now I get shots every week and I don't get the treats anymore, but then
again I've grown up a bit since I was three...