 Off-Topic / Debate / 11104
Re: Nothing personal, but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:53:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
Am I the only one around here who adds off-topic.debate to their skip filter
whenever the Scott & Larry show gets going at full steam?

Like I say, it's nothing personal, but it is blatantly obvious that you two
don't see eye-to-eye, don't understand how the other one thinks, and can't
get around it.  Why do either of you bother?

I agree with you. I try my best – I really do.

<snip the "If only Larry" part>

If you're really trying to quit, you're failing miserably.  It takes two to
tango, and you guys have been dancing together for a long time.

James

I agree with you 100%. This would be much less mess if Larry just answered
the points I put to him. He throughs insults at me, I ask him questions in
return. He just is not willing to justify his opinion in any way:
A recent one : http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=10894
An older one: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=10181

There are many more like this.

If he just did not reply, I would forget all about it. If he answered my
questions the debate would move on. But all Larry does is issue infantile
insults, create noise and avoid the point.

Scott A

"If only...."  "Infantile insults"? That sounds like an insult in itself.

When are insults not infantile?

Insults are insults. I guess to apply an adjective depends on the
perception. I've seen people insulted at the infantile level, and I've seen
them insulted on a level so high that they didn't even know they were insulted.

Whaen are they ever required?

They are never required in my mind. I do tend to throw a few around with my
friends in a joking manner. And yes, I do expect them to return in kind -
it's our sense of humor.

It sounds like you are trying to avoid any responsibility what-so-ever.

I am trying to be constructive. Are you?

I try to take the constructive approach in my posts. I'm not always
successful as you could see by digging around a bit, but that's just being
human. My impression is that you aren't taking any responsibility in the
matter at all. If you want to stick up for yourself, don't talk about
someone else. That just makes it look like you are pointing the finger at
someone else and that it's "their fault".

Scott A

-Duane

I've probably said more than I should have on this subject. Don't look for
me to respond as I don't want to take it down to a personal level. Like I
said, I've probably gone too far already....

-Duane