 Off-Topic / Debate / 11194
Re: Child rearing (was: Nothing personal, but...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 19:16:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:

From a simply pragmatic standpoint, I never saw the "no supper" punishment
as that effective, including those few occasions when I was subject to it.
It was too vague a punishment to have any lasting effect, even in terms of
negative reinforcement.

First off, quick comment. Negative reinforcement is the wrong term here -
negative reinforcement refers to the removal of a bad effect, in response to
a good action. Negative reinforcement receives the *same* effect as positive
reinforcement, not the opposite. Psych 101, guys. You're talking about a
punishment.

  Ah, well. The point remains the same.  Let me amend by statement thus:

"It was too vague a punishment to have any lasting effect, even in terms of
the removal of an desirable stimulus, to wit, dinner."

And, anyway, it wasn't Psych 101--it was Psych 2, and it was twelve years
ago!  8^)

     Dave!