 Off-Topic / Debate / 11141
Re: Nothing personal, but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:27:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
Am I the only one around here who adds off-topic.debate to their skip filter
whenever the Scott & Larry show gets going at full steam?

Everyone that is bothered by it ought to. I ought to, for that matter.

Like I say, it's nothing personal, but it is blatantly obvious that you two
don't see eye-to-eye, don't understand how the other one thinks, and can't
get around it.  Why do either of you bother?

I admit I ought to do a better job of ignoring Scott Arthur's drivel.

Youch, an insult.

But I
just don't suffer fools gladly,

Youch, an insult.

and when he gets going full steam my
perception of him as a debater is that he's acting foolishly and not adding
any value to the debate.

It may not actually be an accurate perception of Scott, but I'm not the only
person who shares that perception, I'm just the one that he's best at
getting riled up.

Take this "what is the demographic composition of LUGNET" subthread going
currently, and consider what he's actually asking for... he wants me to
PROVE my assertion about something that was a throwaway comment meant to
illustrate something. It's one that no one else challenges, ieither.

You are wrong on this. I am asking you to justify you quoting of a *fact*.

When I say "enough, I've shown it to a level of detail that any reasonable
person should be satisfied with" he keeps digging. And digging. I would ask,
is there ANYONE that actually disputes it? All he seems to want is to keep
asking and asking and I just don't want to play and I said so repeatedly but
that doesn't seem to be good enough...

Seriously, is there anyone that doubts that LUGNET is more white and more
male than the averages? Really??? I just don't think that there is. So why
does he keep digging? And that's just one example out of many many many I
could cite.

As you well know this is not my point. It is absolutely not my point. As I
have said time and time again, I have become tired you making assertions and
accusation which you simply cannot/ will not substantiate. The point of the
thread you mention was to illustrate this. Read this post again:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=10894

This is a clear and simple question. I am just asking you to justify a tiny
statement - it has nothing really to do with Lugnet. There are two routes
you could have taken to answer my point:
1) Justify your comment
2) Retract your statement.

You could even have ignored my post. Instead, you just insult me:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=10895

The fact is, I expect you just guessed the white  “population average for
the continent or the country or the state” – you are just too proud to admit
it. Am I wrong?

Scott A

Yes, bringing this particular thread up to illustrate isn't polite but I'm
just tired of it and him. I do apologise that he does seem to be able to get
under my skin and get me to post in anger. That's my fault and I admit it.
But he's just such a poor debater, and annoying poster, that it drives me crazy.

Should I be a better person and rise above it? Yes. But I'm not perfect. I
had too much ice cream for dessert at lunch too for that matter.

This no doubt will get some post or posts from him pointing out what a bad
person or bad debater I am for not playing the game his way. Tough.

And anyone that feels it is both our faults equally needs to really think
about that long and hard before they say so.

++Lar