 Off-Topic / Debate / 11150
Re: The Scott and Larry show (was: Nothing personal, but...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:00:24 GMT

Scott A wrote:

He stated an opinion that was based on a lifetime of informal evidence
gathering.

Nope. From his message:

When you
challenged me I went off and counted noses at that point in order to see if
my hunch was right.

HUNCH.  Do you know what that word means?  Obviously not.

He guessed
right!  What's your deal?

My deal is that he guessed/fabricated data and is still trying to pass it of
as fact. I shall remind you, he has not said it was a guess/fabrication yet
- we (you and I) are only guessing that is the case. This is what he is
saying he did:

=+=
When you
challenged me I went off and counted noses at that point in order to see if
my hunch was right. It was, at least for the 20+ fests, meetings, events,
etc., I've attended in 6 countries on 3 continents... (a slightly better
sample set than yours) For the subset that I reviewed pictures, each one of
them was more male than 49% and more white than the population average for
the continent or the country or the state that it was held in. (whichever is
a good metric)
=+=

That does not sound like guesswork - it sounds like a good metric. What do
you think?

What about the word HUNCH do you not understand?

Once again, as usual, you've latched onto one word or phrase in a post and pounded
it into the ground, ignoring the entire post that makes it clear to any critical
thinker.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/