 Off-Topic / Debate / 11177
Re: The Scott and Larry show (was: Nothing personal, but...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:04:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
OK, here's some personal data from my observations. All AFOLs (10) that I
have met (granted, a small sampling) in person have been white. Of those,
one was a female.

All US citizens, one presumes...

According to November 1, 2000 US Government Census estimates:
http://www.census.gov/population/estimates/nation/intfile3-1.txt

11.9% of the national population is "HISPANIC ORIGIN (of any race)"
71.3% of the national population is "WHITE, NOT HISPANIC"
12.2% of the national population is "BLACK, NOT HISPANIC"
0.7% of the national population is "AMERICAN INDIAN, ESKIMO, AND ALEUT, NOT
HISPANIC"
3.8% of the national population is "ASIAN AND PACIFIC ISLANDER, NOT HISPANIC"

My 100% obviously does not meet the national figures

Well, it would be kind of hard to match those decimal places exactly when
you had 10 points in the sample, but I see your point. :-)

From the same page (assuming millions):
Total population: 276,059
Male population:  134,979
Female population:  141,080

% of total population that is female (calculated): 51.1%

My 10% obviously does not meet the national figures.

Now, with the figures above could you please sit down, shut up and let this
poor dead horse rest in peace?

-Duane

Not a chance.  You see, Lugnet does not represent the Lego-playing
population of your li'l ol' country over thar.  It's filtered by the
net-using disposable-income time-on-their-hands sector of the population.
Now I suspect that to be a much bigger and more influential group, so does
that match the population statistics too?

Jason J Railton