 Off-Topic / Debate / 11188
Re: Child rearing (was: Nothing personal, but...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:13:33 GMT

  Since I don't agree that the consequence is artificial, I can't answer
your question as asked.  The costs in terms of relationship and personal
autonomy (whatever that means, really) are minor, except in cases of
arbitrary and excessive abuse.  If humans were to remain at the pre-formal
operational stage of development, I might agree that punishment could only
ever achieve a simple associative result, a la "do this and get smacked."
However, since humans are able to advance beyond simple, linear concepts of
transgression and punishment into notions of (culture- and society-based)
right and wrong, then I maintain that punishment is not an inappropriate
measure until such abstract concepts can be grasped.

    Dave!

I agree with Dave and it's not like you have to smack the child for every
transgression. Once you've smacked them for crayoning on the wall when they
discover another inappropriate action you can inform them if they do it
again, that too will lead to a smacking.

Perhaps Christopher should do an experiment. Have three kids, smack one,
tell the second not to do things again and let the third run riot without
any kind of discipline at all (he/she would be the control subject after all).

Steve