 Off-Topic / Debate / 11163
Re: Nothing personal, but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:20:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Mr L F Braun wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
I still am not convinced it's good to have lugnet.off-topic.debate, but
I'm not sure what the real solution is. Frankly (to be myself), I really
should just remove .debate from my reading list, it's just that it is
one of the few places where some glimmer of good critical thinking and
debate goes on in my life.

   Oh.  My.  Goodness.  Say this isn't so, Frank!  I'd debate you,
   but I'm afraid we don't have that much to argue about.  :)  I
   had somehow presumed your job would require some sort of higher
   brain function--but am I taking mental engagement for granted
   just because I'm an academic?

Programming does require higher brain function, but it tends to be very
different from the critical examination used in debate. I haven't ever
gone deeply into the types of stimulation I get from each activity that
I do, but there are definite differences, and I very much miss some of
the types of stimilation (one I especially miss is the stimulation I get
from role playing gaming). I think the stimilation is even significantly
different between the various tasks involved (design, documentation,
coding, and debugging).

   True.  But are problem-solving and critical analysis that different?
   The only difference I can see is that the latter is played out against
   a second thinking human being (which, granted, is significant).  Is
   this why we engage in office politicking over and above what might
   be necessary?  A need for engagement and challenge?

   Note:  Above is idle speculation.  (I almost typed "speciation."
   That would just *radiate* improper usage.  ;) )

   LFB (who wonders about the room arrangements)

I got the room reserved (I thought I told you and Chris about that).

   Yeh, I was just wondering what the specifics were, but I suppose
   we can get our ducks in a row closer to the day.

   best

   LFB