 Off-Topic / Debate / 11162
Re: Separate but equal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:19:33 GMT

Anyone have an opinion?  (Now THERE'S a silly question!)

Yes and yes.

I support the right of Mr. Livingstone in his attempt to form segregated
schools in order to protect a class of students from society.  But I think it
is the wrong solution.

From the article:

Lee Jasper, who also advises the London Mayor on law and
order, claimed that black children were being subjected
to bullying by white teachers.

If this is a serious problem (I mean, if it's really happening) then that
problem ought to be corrected with extreme prejudice.  Then, the perception of
a need for segregation would vanish.

If you want me to say something controversial, how about "I support dragging
any teachers who bully students (at all really, but especially on racial
grounds) into the street and having the community members (as a team-building
exercise) stone those teachers to death."

(Actually, that's only my first thought.  I really only support termination
since they're obviously not mature enough to handle the responsibility of being
a teacher.)

Chris

P.S. Another opinion is that I think ten year olds ought not hang themselves.