 Off-Topic / Debate / 11151
Re: Why the sky is blue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:21:26 GMT

"Why the *ocean* is blue" is not quite the same as the three sources you
note, which all address "why *water* is blue".  The phenomenom of the ocean
taking on the color of the sky (in general) has been long observed and
recorded by artists.  Yes, the explanation was simplified, but go out on a
gray day and look at the ocean.

I've done so on many occasions, seriously trying to answer this very question
(is the ocean blue, or is it reflecting the sky?) for myself.  One tends to do
this sort of thing when studying atmospheric science at the graduate level.
There are plenty of grey days in Halifax, Nova Scotia, where I lived and
studied for two years.  Even on the darkest, greyest days, it still
appeared to be a very dark blue.  I'll check again when I'm on vacation.  I'm
always guaranteed to have grey days when I'm on vacation.

Jeff J