 Off-Topic / Debate / 11884
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:07:54 GMT

I'm sorry, perhaps I should be more specific: the would-be gun owner needs
to PASS a strict test in addition.  No, it won't be perfect - nothing ever is.

I support the notion that people ought to be competent users of any powerful
tool, especially one as powerful as a gun. However...

My objection to an apriori training requirement (rather than an aposteriori
lawsuit for negligent behaviour) is a weak one, but it exists nonetheless,
and is this.

We have the lesson in our recent past of literacy tests that any white could
pass but even a college grad in english lit who happened to be black could
not. Similarly, I fear the unscrupulous opponents of guns within the
government would use this mechanism to keep all from owning, or all except
their cronies.

As an illustration of this I offer the factoid which I heard somewhere (and
which may be false but I tend to doubt it) that says that machine guns are
not outlawed per se, they just have been taxed (by the BATF, as it happens)
to the point that civilians can no longer acquire new ones. This passed
constitutional muster where banning them outright did not. (which shows how
critical the need for clarity in parts of the constitution is)