 Off-Topic / Debate / 11887
Re: Pledge (was Re: Flag Burning)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 05:27:34 GMT

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message
news:GGqFsC.CvJ@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

Christopher Weeks wrote:

If I am remembering correctly, the ACLU was trying to have it • removed from
schools because it mentions God.

I think that some people want it gone for that reason, but I • think that's
kind
of dumb and petty.

I wouldn't call a religious based argument dumb and petty

What I really mean is that I think the God phrase is a relatively • trivial
point.  I was raised as an athiest.  I refused to say the pledge as • a kid in
school because of the God thing.  It caused me all kinds of hassle, • and I kept
a straight line and simply refused.  I understand how people would • get in a
tizzy about it if they feel like they're being forced to sanction • superstition.
But I still think that the issue of brainwashing our children into
nationalistic compliance is much more disturbing.  Far, far more • significant
than the seperation of church and state issue.

If God is your only beef, that could just be removed.  But expecting • the pledge
to be recited by kids in schools would still be evil.

Chris

Personally when I recited the pledge in school it went like this:  "I
pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to
the Replublic for which it stands, one Nation ... indivisible, with
liberty and justice for all."  I felt, and still feel, that there was
a contradiction in the pledge stating "one Nation under God" and "with
liberty and justice for all."