 Off-Topic / Debate / 11838
11837  |  11839
Subject:
Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:01:47 GMT

(okay, I burned Marion Zimmer Bradley's "The Firebrand", but that was a
private critique)
:-)

<snip>
Maybe she's an acquired taste, but she's joined Stephen Donaldson and Terry
Brooks in my Incinerator Special File.

Terry Brooks should stop pretending to write good fiction, acknowledge that
he writes marginal formula at best, and run with it.  I don't mind some of
his stuff, I just hate that some people are fooled into thinking it's
quality work.

As to Donaldson.... well, I think everyone should read Donaldson once, to
learn the lesson that a book can have all the elements of a great story, and
still be boring as snot.  I'm not entirely certain how he does it.

James