 Off-Topic / Debate / 11841
Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 22:18:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
<snip>
Maybe she's an acquired taste, but she's joined Stephen Donaldson and Terry
Brooks in my Incinerator Special File.

I read all the Darkover books as a kid.  My tastes have refined considerably
since then and when I tried to read a more recent one as a young adult (19-21
or so) I just couldn't do it.  It was disappointing.

I've never actually read much MZB that wasn't a short story, and I've never
had strong feelings about her one way or the other.  I haven't read any
Darkover, because I hate coming into the middle of a story or setting, and
I've never had convenient access to the first one.

Terry Brooks should stop pretending to write good fiction, acknowledge that
he writes marginal formula at best, and run with it.  I don't mind some of
his stuff, I just hate that some people are fooled into thinking it's
quality work.

I think the key here is marginal formula.  As in, not even good formula.  More
like bad formula actually.

As to Donaldson.... well, I think everyone should read Donaldson once, to
learn the lesson that a book can have all the elements of a great story, and
still be boring as snot.  I'm not entirely certain how he does it.

That's an interesting stance.  Did he write the _Gap_ books?  I had a friend
reading them who thought the psychology of the characters was so incredibly
deep (read twisted and melodramatic) that it must surely qualify as some of
the best SF of all time.  I disagreed.

You say "disagreed" like you mean "thought he was a loony" :)

I was actually thinking of the first _Chronicles_ with my above comment; I
read all of the _Gap_ books, but only because I'm a sucker for punishment.
By about halfway through the first one, I was wondering if there were any
people that weren't horribly extreme caricatures in the setting.  I never
really lost that sense of wonder...

Chris (Who thinks that Vinge writes the best SF.)

Vinge writes good stuff.  I like Heinlein better, but it's not a hard & fast
preference.  I'm also a fan of Asimov, although his trilogies tend to go
downhill after the first book, IMHO.

thanks,

James