 Off-Topic / Debate / 11868
Re: Flag Burning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:07:41 GMT

I think in the US, citizens are much more likely to get all teary eyed when
they see their flag getting raised or hear their anthem(?). I am not sure
why that is, am I right in thinking the anthem is sang quite often at school
in the US?

Yes.  We are specifically and knowingly indoctrinating (brainwashing) a sense
of nationalism in our children.  I find it reprehensible and occasionally write
to the ACLU urging them to tackle the problem.  I would like the see (at least)
the pledge of allegiance banned in all public schools.

The abject fear of freedom that this demonstrates in the supposed "land of the
free" quite turns my stomach.

Chris

I remember saying the pledge of allegiance up until about the fifth grade.
After that, I remember only reciting it rarely. It could have been the
switch in schools, or a regional thing. I'm not sure.

If I am remembering correctly, the ACLU was trying to have it removed from
schools because it mentions God.

-Duane