 Off-Topic / Debate / 11873
Re: Flag Burning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 13:27:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

We must also remember that the PROPER way to dispose of the American flag is
to burn it, not throw it away.

I think people that burn it in protest are slime (if they think so little of
the US and are citizens, LEAVE!), but I think they have the right to do so.

  Are you saying, in essence (in this thread, and, like all of us, across
many other threads), that you want to preserve, for example, your
Constitutionally-enumerated right to bear arms, but you want to curtail
someone else's Constitutionally-enumerated right to free expression?  And
how would that differ from ratifying a Constitutional amendment to outlaw
hate speech, or to protect the swastika, or the crucifix, or the Star of
David? In these latter two cases, there wouldn't be a need, for instance, to
establish one faith or the other as a "state religion," since the items
themselves would be protected, as opposed to the underlying faiths.
  The icons of those faiths, however, like the icon of our nation, is merely
a thing, and it is appropriately subject to freedom of expression.

     Dave!