 Off-Topic / Debate / 11859
Re: Flag Burning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:27:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer Clark writes:
Duane Hess wrote:

I do not feel that it is right to burn the flag. It may be more of an
emotional attachment to a symbol than anything.

Maybe it is just a cultural thing... if I saw a Scot burning a St Andrew's Cross I'd think he was either a bit on the daft side and/or had more money than
sense, shrug my shoulders and walk on. Were I a seller of St Andrew's Cross flags I'd be very happy about this situation. I do actually have a fair measure of
national pride in being Scottish, I just don't see a piece of cloth as having much to do with it.

I feel the same way. Although, I think this varies drastically from
country-to-country. I was working in Northern Denmark a few years ago, and I
was amazed at how many houses had the Danish flag flying (I estimate
10-20%!). If I were to do that, my neighbours would assume I'd been watching
Braveheart a little too much. :)  I think in Scotland we have quite a strong
culture, so we do not really need a flag or an anthem to bind us together (I
am not saying the US or Denmark does not!). I certainly could not recite
more than a few lings of God Save the Queen – and I doubt I am the only one.
I think in the US, citizens are much more likely to get all teary eyed when
they see their flag getting raised or hear their anthem(?). I am not sure
why that is, am I right in thinking the anthem is sang quite often at school
in the US? I can't remember ever singing God Save the Queen at School.

Now if someone from England was to burn a St Andrew's Cross, well that's different ;-)

They would not dare!

Scott A

Jennifer